Pontiac

Pontiac Problems? Ask a Mechanic for Answers ASAP

Pontiac

I have a 2009 Pontiac G6. When it heats up it turns over but

I have a 2009 Pontiac...
I have a 2009 Pontiac G6. When it heats up it turns over but won't start. I have to wait a few hours for it to cool and then it will start right up. Battery and Alternator have been tested and are good. Replaced the starter and relay but the issue still persists. What now???
JA: How many miles are on the car? Has the car been starting normally?
Customer: 120,000 miles. At first it took as few tries to get it to start. Then a few months later it wouldn't turn over or start when it heated up. We replaced the starter and relay and now it turns over but won't start when it heats up. When it does finally start (after a few hours) it starts up good and strong. But it is an issue that got progressively worse over the last few months.
JA: Are you fixing your G6 yourself? What have you tried so far?
Customer: Yes. We tested the battery and alternator,and replaced the starter and relay.
JA: Anything else you want the mechanic to know before I connect you?
Customer: No
8/16/2017
Lou P.
Lou P., ASE Certified Technician

Hello, my name is***** and i will do my best to assist you.I am going over your story now and will reply back soon with some info,thanks!

there are a few things that can cause this,

does the engine ever die on you or it just wont start up?

No, the engine does not die. It runs great just won't re-start after it heats up. Also, the brake light and traction lights are lit up.

ok, so in order to tell if its fuel or spark, try starting the engine with starter fluid, if it starts then its possibly a fuel pump, if it does not then its possibly a crank sensor or even engine computer.

we need to know if we are missing fuel or spark, so try that and it should lead you in the right direction, Let me know if this helps and if you need further help just reply back, I will do what i can to get you fixed up, Lou

Lou P.
Lou P., ASE Certified Technician
Ok, I will try the starter fluid and get back to you.Thanks

ok sounds good.

Lou

It's spark, not fuel.

ok, so right now it wont start but it will crank?

Crank? It doesn't continuously crank but I can hear one click when I turn the key.

oh so the car starter will not even crank over?

No, it just makes one click. It does not make any continuous noises.

if the starter will not even crank i want you to pour some ice water over the engine module, it should be located in the air filter box, i will double check, see if cooling down the engine computer helps.

what size engine do you have?

it looks like the ecm is mounted to the front of the battery case.

Engine is 3.4. The car has started again so I have to play the waiting game. :(

gotcha, but yes try that, pour some cold water on the engine module. let me know

Will do :)

cool, no pun intended, i will be on most of the day so just give me time to reply. if im not online i still get emails when you respond. so dont think i left you, lol

Should I also test the ECM fuses??? p.s. I'm a girl so be patient with my vehicle ignorance...lol :)

actually yes you can do that as well and by test i assume you mean check with a test light, see if they have power when the car wont crank.

and girl or boy, dont matter to me, cars can all be fixed with patience and proper diagnostics :)

any questions please ask, i can inform if you are not sure about something.

but props to you, most girls dont bother, :)

Ok, and soon as I get a chance I'm going to run the car around to heat it up and try the ice water test. In the mean time I'm going to try and track down a test light. TTFN :)

ok sounds good!,

Lou Palomino

checking in, any luck?

I haven't been able to duplicate the issue yet. The car was driven for about 25 minutes yesterday afternoon and when I got home it started up again! grrrrr! Discruntled grunt!

oh man, doctor syndrome, like when you are sick but go to the doctor all of a sudden you feel better and the symptoms go away.

Exactly!!! My son is on deployment right now so luckily I have his car to drive in the meantime. I don't know how you guys do this every day. This car issue is driving me bat shit crazy!!!! Hopefully, I will be able to work on it some more this weekend. Thanks for keeping in touch. :)

lol, finally someone understands!!!!!

yes, cars will do that, all day, every day.

please let me know what happens,

Lou Palomino.

I totally understand now why I always heard my ex screaming FU***** C*** Licking B**** from the garage! hahaha....I will never reprimand anyone for their language while working on a car again! Have a great weekend!

haha you too, this week you win my coolest customer award, thanks for that, Lou

Hi Lou. I drove my car to work this morning and when I turned it off it started right back up. So, I'll have to wait until it is hotter this afternoon and drive it home and see what happens.

this thing is gonna drive you cray cray lol.

It already has! That is why I put it on the back burner the last few days. My brain was on information overload. Of course now that I am back up and running the bitch is working! grrrr.......I may just have to bite the bullet and take her to a shop. I'm thinking this is an electrical issue that's way over my pay grade...lol :) We'll see after work.

i think its the engine control module and depending on the outside temperature is going to depend on if the module will cut out or not, this is totally a module symptom to me. at least from my experience.

Lou

Yeah, when I drive my car to work in the morning it will restart but when I drive it home it won't. I live in Vegas so it's over 100 in the afternoon. I am going to do the ice water test after work if my car behaves and breaks down....lol. Let's pray! I'll let you know in the morning. Thanks for keeping contact, Mr. Lou. Hopefully we can close this soon. Like I tell my doctor, it's been fun but I hope i don't have to see you again soon....lol.
Haha true story !!
When I got home I turned car off and imediately restarted car and it started. I turned it off again and then the second time it wouldn't. Neither starter fluid nor ice water worked. : (

ok, so next step is to use a test light and with the key on check all the fuses to see which ones do not have power, it can also be a relay or the bcm.

Ok, I have access to a test light at work. I can get it tomorrow.
P.s. I already changed out the relay.

well, you say THE relay, there are a multitude of relays.

Oh. :) Damn.....for second I thought I was cool and ahead of the game! Lol

I almost let you have that one, Lou 1- customer 0

:)

Hahaha....that made me laugh out loud. ��
Lou P.
Lou P.
Lou P., ASE Certified Technician