TODD RUZICKA
TODD RUZICKA,
Experience:  Service Consultant at Main Motor Chevrolet
95998009

I got a p0496 code saying i had a small leak and high purge

Customer Question

I got a p0496 code saying i had a small leak and high purge flow im wondering how to fix it and if itll damage it to drive it?
JA: How old are the hoses? And what driving conditions do you most often encounter?
Customer: Im not sure to be honest. I bought it used last october and just some bumpy roads but other than a few its smooth roads
JA: What is the model/year of your Pontiac?
Customer: Its a 2006 pontiac torrent awd
JA: Are you fixing your Torrent yourself? What have you tried so far?
Customer: Yes i am myself if i am able to. And i fixed the gas cap due to reading that it could be the problem but it still shows up. My car jerks sometime when i hit the gas.
JA: Anything else you want the mechanic to know before I connect you?
Customer: Ive been filling up my gas more frequently than usual and sometimes it has a hard start. Thats about it.
Category: Pontiac
Expert:  TODD RUZICKA replied 2 months ago.

H​I, my name is ***** ***** I'll do my best to help. Please stand by momentarily so I can look up your vehicle's emission application. I'll be right back with you.

Ok, thank you for patiently waiting. The most likely cause of this code / issue you are having is a sticking Evaporative Emissions Purge Solenoid Valve (EVAP purge valve). This code is generally associated with the purge valve when it malfunctions or sticks internally. I have had the pleasure of fixing this type of issue with this code many many times. Almost all the times I can recall, the purge valve was the culprit. This will also cause excess fuel consumption (poor mileage) and also a hard start condition as it's actually a vacuum leak to the engine when the valve sticks. As for the jerking you experienced on acceleration, that may be another issue all together.

I​ hope this is helpful information. Is there anything else I can assist you with? If so, simply let me know. If not, thank you so much for using just answer!! I'd greatly appreciate a five star rating as well. Thanks again!!