Pontiac

Pontiac problems? Ask a mechanic for answers ASAP

I have a idle speed problem, it wont idle down when the

Customer Question
I have a idle...

I have a idle speed problem, it wont idle down when the engine gets warmed up. in gear its at 1500 and when i put it in netural it goes up to 3000 rpm i have replaced the IAC motor and then the car worked great for about 3 weeks and the problem came back. So then i replaced the throttle position censor and did not solve the problem.. i its like the car has a mind of its own and i have no control over it. Any suggestion to please ...

Mechanic's Assistant: How many miles are on the car? What size is the engine?

3.8 231,000

Mechanic's Assistant: What is the model/year of your Pontiac?

2003 Pontiace Bonneville SLE

Mechanic's Assistant: Are you fixing your Bonneville yourself? What have you tried so far?

I have taken the car to a repair show.. to have it checked out and scanned.. when they repalced the IAC everything was good for 3 weeks then the problem returned... i drive the interstate and when the engine takes over the car its kinda scary

Mechanic's Assistant: Anything else you want the mechanic to know before I connect you?

When that car starts its fine... but after it warms up you come to a stop light and the rpm are at 12- 15 hundred thats when i know the engine will not back down to 700 rpm

Submitted: 8 months ago.Category: Pontiac
8/1/2017
Pontiac Mechanic: Amedee, Pontiac Technician replied 8 months ago
Amedee
Amedee, Pontiac Technician

Hello and welcome!

My name isCustomerand I can assist you with your question.

I am very sorry your having this issue with your vehicle.

I will try my best to answer all of your questions.

However, before we get started, please let me mention a few things.

1. If at any point you would like to speak on the phone, please feel free to request a phone call on your end and I can call you right away.

2. If you dont understand any technical terms or anything that I mention (component tests or theory or operation), please let me know and I will provide you with a more in debt explanation or answer.

3. Please understand that I am here to help you any way I can.

Is the check engine light on?

Are there any codes in the computer?

How does the engine run under a load?

No check engine light is on...not that i know of....the car runs terrible when the high idle is up feeels like i am going to loose my tork converter or drop the tranny make any sense?
It is like the engine has a mind of its own when the engine gets warmed up....i have no way of lowering the engine speedif you hit the pedal thinking it should drop the rpms it does not

Thank you for that information.

What is the TPS voltage at when this high idle condition occurs?

if i am sure of what you are talking about... 5 when its at 3000 i didn t do the testing the auto shop did... but i do remember them saying something about the TPS and it showed a jump to 5 all by its self....

Thank you for that information.

Provided the new TPS is reading correctly and the throttle plate is closed, this indicates a major air/vacuum leak.

I would start by checking all vacuum hoses/lines, intake manifold gasket, throttle body and gaskets for any vacuum leaks and fix or replace anything as needed.

The best way to check for vacuum leaks is with a smoke machine smoke testing the intake with the engine off.

However, if you dont have access to a smoke machine, a lot of times you can hear the vacuum leak if you open the hood and look/listen close near the intake system or manifold.

I am glad I can help!

Please don't forget to honor your good faith deposit by rating my answer as "5 STARS or SMILEY FACES" for assisting you today.

Keep in mind, we can still continue this conversation at no further cost to you even after you rate my answer. Just reply back to me using this page and I will get it and get back to you ASAP!

Also, if you are a member or if you have a subscription to the site, you still need to rate my answer in order for me to get credit for assisting you with your question.

You should see the rating system towards the top of the page.

Please let me know if you have any further questions.

Hello there!

I am just checking in to see how things are going and to see if you need any further assistance?

If so, please let me know as I will be happy to help.

Best Regards,

Customer/p>

Amedee
Amedee
Amedee, Pontiac Technician