sprinkles08
sprinkles08, ASE Certified Technician
Experience:  ASE Master and Advanced level certified. Factory trained with 17 years dealership experience
9825021

MY HEADLAMPS ARE HORRIBLE I REPLACED THE HEADLAMP ASSEMBLIES

Customer Question

MY HEADLAMPS ARE HORRIBLE I REPLACED THE HEADLAMP ASSEMBLIES WITH NEW ONE AND I CANT GET THEM ADJUSTED RIGHT AND THEY STILL DO NOT SEEM BRIGHT ENOUGH
JA: What is the model/year of your Pontiac?
Customer: NEW BULBS AND EVERYTHING 2004 GRAND MA GT WITH FOG LAMPS
JA: Have you checked the fuses? Do you know what size fuse it needs?
Customer: YEAH THEY WORK AND COME ON AND FUNCTION PROPERLY I JUST CANT SEE FOR NOTHING AND ADJUSTEMNT NEVER STAYS
JA: Are you fixing your GT yourself? What have you tried so far?
Customer: YES I PUT ONE NEW FOG LAMP ASSEBMLY , 2 NEW FOG LAMP BULS , 2 NEW HEADLAMP ASSEMBLYS AND BULB
JA: Anything else you want the mechanic to know before I connect you?
Customer: NO THATS ALL
Category: Pontiac
Expert:  Pete replied 2 months ago.

Hi my name is ***** ***** I will be happy to assist with this today.In some cases I may need more info to assist better.I apologize for any delay.

Have you tested the voltage and ground to the head lights at all?

Let me know,thanks Pete

Customer: replied 2 months ago.
I HAVE AND THEY ARE CLEAN AND TIGHT AND WIRING GOING INTO HEAD LAMPS ARE GOOD
Expert:  Pete replied 2 months ago.

What liter engine is in your model here?

Customer: replied 2 months ago.
NO IM AT WORK SORRY
Customer: replied 2 months ago.
3.4 LITER ENGINE
Customer: replied 2 months ago.
I REPLACED THE HEAD LAMP AND FOG LAMP ASSEMBLYS AND THEY ARE BRIGHTER BUT CAN GET THEM NO WHERE NEAR AS GOOD AS OTHER CAR THE SAME YR OR OLDER
Expert:  Pete replied 2 months ago.

This is a difficult question for me to help with here myself.

I will open your question up for others here to see if someone else can assist further on this as there may be others here that may have more info on what to check or do with this issue.I hope you can get this resolved with ease.No need to reply to my last post here unless it is a last resort as it will keep your question locked to me and others will not be able to view it.If you feel you want to continue to work with me on this feel free to reply at any time but keep in mind in some cases it can be difficult to fully diagnose or help repair this without seeing your vehicle.

Thanks Pete

Expert:  sprinkles08 replied 2 months ago.

Hello and welcome to JustAnswer!

If the lights are dimmer than they should be yet the bulbs are new then you have to have a poor power or ground to them. If the lenses and bulbs are new yet the bulbs are actually dim then the only possible cause is not enough current flow.

What specifically was done to check wiring?

Customer: replied 2 months ago.
Checked ground n power had 12 volts on hot side n zero on ground side tried 2 different bulbs they r bright but can't seem to get the bulb to shine in the right direction

What needs to be done is voltage drop test the power and ground while the lights are turned on.