Pete, Pontiac Technician
Experience:  17 Years Pontiac Technician and training.
14928985

I need to replace the alternator and I'm looking for a

Customer Question

I need to replace the alternator and I'm looking for a step-by-step shop instruction or something along those lines
JA: Okay, I'll connect you to the mechanic to go over that information regarding your Pontiac. Before I do, is there anything else you want him to know?
Customer: It is a 2009 V6. It has a new issue battery and I am looking to do this on my ow it is a 2009 V6. It has a new ish battery
Category: Pontiac
Expert:  Pete replied 2 months ago.

Hi my name is ***** ***** I will be happy to assist with this today.In some cases I may need more info to assist better.I apologize for any delay.

What is the model of your vehicle and what liter is the V6 engine?

Let me know,thanks Pete.

Customer: replied 2 months ago.
It is a Pontiac G8 3.6 L V6. 2009
Customer: replied 2 months ago.
I have seen some posts that say you need to do it from underneath and others from above and it seems like getting to it is the most difficult part. I've also seen some posts that say it should be torqued to a certain level others that don't mention it
Expert:  Pete replied 2 months ago.

O.k.,I will look up step by step instructions and post them here for you.I will be right back shortly.

Customer: replied 2 months ago.
Thank you so much. Do you know if there will be pictures or illustrations with it?
Expert:  Pete replied 2 months ago.

https://www.dropbox.com/s/ezzh26nxiaijw9r/a-07-25.gif?dl=0

1. Disconnect the negative battery cable.
2. Reposition the positive battery cable boot at the generator terminal.
3. Remove the positive battery cable nut at the generator.
4. Remove the positive battery cable terminal from the generator.

https://www.dropbox.com/s/6oketpd7un3iev9/al-07-25.gif?dl=0

5. Disconnect the engine harness electrical connector from the generator.
6. Remove the drive belt.

https://www.dropbox.com/s/2gcuaf1hmlnut90/alt-07-25.gif?dl=0

7. Remove the idler pulley.
8. Remove the generator bolts.

Important: When removing the generator from the vehicle, it may be necessary to maneuver the generator to remove it from the vehicle.

9. Remove the generator from under the vehicle.

Installation info:

1. Position the generator to the engine.
2. Loosely install the generator bolts.
3. Install the idler pulley.

Notice: Refer to Fastener Notice.

4. Tighten the generator bolts in the sequence shown.

Tighten the bolts to 50 N.m (37 lb ft).

If more help is needed, use the reply tab to continue our conversation. If no further assistance is needed, kindly rate my service,your 5 star rating is appreciated ( should be a link to click on here or above).You can rate at any time and we can continue to work on your question as this will not close out your question.Keep in mind in some cases it can be difficult to fully diagnose or help repair your vehicle without seeing it and I work on delivering the best possible answer from what I see to work with.

Thanks Pete

Customer: replied 2 months ago.
How do I get to it. I have found many posts and looking under my hood, I know it isn't just a matter of replacing it.
Expert:  Pete replied 2 months ago.

You have to try and access it from under the vehicle.It is a tight squeeze to get to it and the instructions the manuals give us is kind of vague on that but it is easier to access from under the vehicle unfortunately.

I do not recall exactly if there are any other components that can be moved out of the way to access it but in some cases if you look from above at the alternator and see anything in the way you can remove anything in the way to make it easier.

Let me know if you need anything else and feel free to rate my help here or above ( should be a link to click on ) as this is how I receive credit for my time.Your 5 star rating is appreciated

Thanks Pete

Customer: replied 2 months ago.
If I remove the things in the way from above can it be replaced from up there?
Expert:  Pete replied 2 months ago.

You can and it may be a little more time consuming but it can be done.

Thanks Pete

Customer: replied 2 months ago.
If I am trying to go underneath... do you have a recommendation for accessing everything? I need quite a bit of leverage as I am quite small
Expert:  Pete replied 2 months ago.

I recommend jacking the vehicle up and supporting it on jack stands and removing anything in the way to then remove it.I have used long extensions and swivel sockets to remove the bolts.

Thanks Pete

Customer: replied 2 months ago.
I have jackstands and it is already jacked up. Are there any hoses or cables that I should be very careful with?
Expert:  Pete replied 2 months ago.

Once you disconnect the battery you wont have to worry about shorting out anything.There may be a lower radiator hose you need to work around and some ground wiring but just make sure not to damage these.Other then that just check the area for anything that may look like it will be in the way and remove it or move to the side if possible to make the job easier.

Thanks Pete

Customer: replied 2 months ago.
How do I move the drive belt? Or better question, how do I loosen the tensioner?
Expert:  Pete replied 2 months ago.

I realized I put in the incorrect info.I got 2 numbers mixed above.The info I gave you is for a 2008 pontiac Gt.Let me post the belt and alternator info below.

rive Belt Replacement

Removal Procedure

1. Remove the air intake duct.

https://www.dropbox.com/s/ru9derlxg338inh/1-07-25.gif?dl=0

2. Note the routing of the drive belt (1).

https://www.dropbox.com/s/0a3sccquln9wdic/2-07-25.gif?dl=0

Important: Using a suitable tool rotate the drive belt tensioner (2) clockwise.

3. Rotate the drive belt tensioner (2) clockwise in order to release tension on the drive belt (1).
4. Remove the drive belt (1) from the crankshaft pulley (3).
5. Slowly release the drive belt tensioner (2).
6. Remove the drive belt (1).Installation is the reverse.

Alternator replacement

1. Raise and support the vehicle.

2. Disconnect the battery negative cable

3. Remove the drive belt from the alternator.

https://www.dropbox.com/s/e3hu024w1jbf1fp/3-07-25.gif?dl=0

4. Disconnect the electrical connector (3) from the alternator.
5. Reposition the protective boot from the alternator output terminal for access.
6. Remove the alternator output terminal nut (1) and disconnect the battery positive lead from the alternator.

https://www.dropbox.com/s/m26wopag14z0ljb/4-07-25.gif?dl=0

7. Remove the alternator to alternator retaining nuts (1).
8. Remove the alternator to alternator bracket retaining studs (2).
9. Remove the alternator from the vehicle (3).

Installation is the reverse.

Install the alternator to alternator bracket retaining studs (2) and tighten to 18 Nm (13 lb ft).

Instal the alternator to alternator bracket retaining nuts (1) and tighten to 18 Nm (13 lb ft).

Customer: replied 2 months ago.
How do I take off the air intake duct
Customer: replied 2 months ago.
How to I remove the cover from the engine
Expert:  Pete replied 2 months ago.

This is the air tubing that runs to the air filter box.Should be clamps or bolts that need removed.The cover will either pull up and off or has clips or bolts that hold it down.You will have to inspect these to locate how to remove them.

Customer: replied 2 months ago.
Do you have images or a diagram? For the air intake
Customer: replied 2 months ago.
I have been under my car for the past hour trying to figure out why the other diagrams did not match up to what was sent earlier
Expert:  Pete replied 2 months ago.

https://www.dropbox.com/s/ewrytahvyu3h12r/f-07-25.gif?dl=0

1. Remove the positive crankcase ventilation (PCV) hose (2) from the air cleaner duct resonator (4).
2. Remove the air cleaner duct to throttle body retaining clamp (1).
3. Remove the air cleaner duct to air cleaner assembly clamp (3)
4. Remove the air cleaner duct (4).

I apologize for the info earlier.Must of been not enough coffee on that.

Thanks Pete

Customer: replied 2 months ago.
Am I still supposed to remove this from under the car or am I doing it from the top now?
Customer: replied 2 months ago.
That was in reference to the alternator…
Expert:  Pete replied 2 months ago.

From under the vehicle.The first step in the correct procedure ( once again I do apologize for that) says to jack up and support the vehicle so it is the same as it comes out from under the vehicle.

Customer: replied 2 months ago.
OK… Here we go again. Thank you for your continued help. Hopefully this thing isn't too crazy.
Expert:  Pete replied 2 months ago.

Your welcome

Customer: replied 2 months ago.
Every other time I have changed my husband easy I don't think anything is easy with this car though
Expert:  Pete replied 2 months ago.

Yeah it can be a tight squeeze for replacement.