sprinkles08
sprinkles08, ASE Certified Technician
Experience:  ASE Master and Advanced level certified. Factory trained with 17 years dealership experience
9825021

My car won't turn on but all the power on the dash lights up

Customer Question

my car won't turn on but all the power on the dash lights up and I tried to crank from the starter it rolls over but won't start
JA: Have you checked the fuses? The dashboard bulbs?
Customer: yes all fuses
JA: What is the model/year of your Pontiac?
Customer: 05 g6
JA: Are you fixing your G6 yourself? What have you tried so far?
Customer: new starter and I tried to jump the sealinod it will roll over but not crank
JA: Anything else you want the mechanic to know before I connect you?
Customer: yes I been having a problem for awhile the car would start sometime and other time it wouldn't and now it won't start at all
Category: Pontiac
Expert:  sprinkles08 replied 2 months ago.

Hello and welcome to JustAnswer!

It sounds as if the starter does not engage when the key is turned and if you jump the starter then it cranks but doesn't start. If that's the case then there is a good chance the engine controller isn't operational, which could be due to an internal failure or a loss of power or ground to it.

Do you hear the fuel pump run when the key is turned to the crank position?

Customer: replied 2 months ago.
the fuel pump comes on
Customer: replied 2 months ago.
my dash light would also blink but the car would never shut off while doing it so the car would crank before after 10 or 20 trys but now it won't crank at all

What light was flashing?

Customer: replied 2 months ago.
all my dash lights and needles just go up an down an all crazy when I turn the key on to try an crank it

You're probably seeing normal gauge movement when going to and from the crank position.

Do you have a scan tool to look at BCM and PCM data?

Customer: replied 2 months ago.
no I don't really have tools like that but my wife was driving it one day and the next she went to crank it and usally after 5 or 10 tries it will crank but did not crank did nothing even when I jump the starter it will roll over but not crank could it be the ignition or ?

It's going to require some electrical testing to determine what is going on. If you don't have the ability to diagnose it yourself then a shop would most likely charge .5 to 1 hour of labor to do so.