Pontiac

Pontiac Problems? Ask a Mechanic for Answers ASAP

Pontiac

Its started skipping real bad took to a shop they had it 6

Customer Question
days.. Told me they replaced...
Its started skipping real bad took to a shop they had it 6 days.. Told me they replaced egr valve and 3 coils.. Picked it up and few miles down the road the same problem occurred. Codes that came up are : P0300,P1120,P1220,P1221,P1514,P1516,P0174.. IM just exhausted with that shop and this issue.. Pls help
JA: How many miles are on the car? How has your mileage been lately?
Customer: 145343
JA: What is the model/year of your Pontiac?
Customer: 02 firebird
JA: Are you fixing your Firebird yourself? What have you tried so far?
Customer: A shop was .. I picked it up this morning. New egr valve and supposedly new coils
JA: Anything else you want the mechanic to know before I connect you?
Customer: Yes it reeks of gas
Submitted: 6 months ago.Category: Pontiac
7/15/2017
Pontiac Mechanic: Matt, Engineer replied 6 months ago
Matt, Engineer

Hello
This could be an airleak after the airflow meter, any air dragged in here isn't 'seen' by the ECU and so not compensated for and can lean the engine out and can also allow the engine to rev up when not desired causing rough running.
As its a mechanical fault it tends not to turn on the fault light and you can sometimes hear a 'hissing' noise with the engine running.

Check the hose clips for tightness and inspect the trunking for any cracks or splits and also all the vacuum system, the small bore pipes and fittings for cracks and missing parts.

The best way to locate a leak is to have the engine running and warm and then spray lighter gas /propane or brake cleaner around each joint in turn. If the engine rev's up you've found your leak.
Now you might think that spraying lighter gas around a hot engine isn’t wise, however the flash /ignition point of gas is about 400°C so you need a naked flame or spark to set it off and I’ve used this method for many years without incident.
Work your way through each possible joint one at a time and you should find it. I use a slightly flattened piece of brake pipe and some rubber hose from the can of lighter gas to provide a spraying 'wand' and allow a direct blast of gas into each area, especially those difficult to reach with large implements.

Air leaks are very temperature dependent as gaps can open up as things expand with temperature so depending on how the leak occurs ( on a hose joint with a clamp expansion will help seal and on a vacuum hose expansion ill make a leak worse) so leaks can be better or worse as the engine heats up.

It’s also worth getting the fuel pressure checked as if this is low due to a blocked filter or faulty regulator or even a poorly pump will all result in insufficient fuel being delivered to the engine

Might also be worth checking the wiring and connector to the airflow meter for any signs of corrosion or damage. you can do a quick fault find if you unplug the meter and run the engine without it.

if the engine condition is the same then chances are the meter or the connection to it is faulty

It’s also worth cleaning the MAF sensor wires, as they can get coated with dirt over time which then offsets the reading
Use some contact cleaner or brake cleaner to spray onto the wires to remove the dirt – on no account touch the wires with anything as they are very fragile

Pontiac Mechanic: Matt, Engineer replied 5 months ago

Hi
do you still need help?
Bear in mind that the site takes a deposit from you at the beginning and this is held by the site until you rate my answer at which point the cash is split between the site and the expert. I am only paid for my work on this question if you rate my answer, using the star system at the top of the screen. Please do not forget! Thank you

Since we've tried that as well as changed fuel filter... Distributor plate, 02 sensor, mass air flow sensor, as stated above the egr has been changed 3 coil packs spark plugs.. I think I've named them all that been replaced and the car is worse than ever performance is at a stand still.. No one can tell me what's wrong with my car.
Oh Yea and since our first conversation my muffler has been blown to pieces... It's awful..

Hello

Ok if the exhaust is being blown apart I wonder if the exhaust is somehow blocked ?

have you tried removing the catalyst to check its not collapsed? or if the rear muffler is choked ?

as high back pressure will create all sorts of running issues

There's no catalyst is been removed.. Prior to me buying the car.

Hello

OK in that case I'd next suggest to do a compression test across all cylinders, as they should all be within 10-15 psi of each other

if they are not then this could indicate a slip in cam timing, which would also explain the exhaust issues

Matt, Engineer