Pontiac

Pontiac Problems? Ask a Mechanic for Answers ASAP

Pontiac

I have a 2008 Grand Prix, with new alternator and new

Customer Question
battery, voltage drops to ~11.9...
I have a 2008 Grand Prix, with new alternator and new battery, voltage drops to ~11.9 to 12.5 but then charges up to 14.3. It appears as thought the alternator is charging, but we still get Charging System Failure on the DIC
JA: Have you tested the battery with a voltmeter? And can you see if it's leaking or not?
Customer: They said it was fine, but maybe I will check it at another place.
JA: Are you fixing your Grand Prix yourself? What have you tried so far?
Customer: Replaced battery initially, because it was 3.5 years old and I thought that was the reason it died. The shop also said the battery was dead when they tested it. So I got an alternator, and it wouldn't charge at all. I got a second, and it is doing the above. I replaced the belt, just for good measure. Yes, myself.
JA: Anything else you want the mechanic to know before I connect you?
Customer: That's it I guess
Submitted: 4 months ago.Category: Pontiac
7/14/2017
Pontiac Mechanic: Dan, Technician replied 4 months ago
Dan, Technician

Hello, my name is ***** ***** I'm here to help get your problem solved.

These vehicles can be picky with aftermarket alternators. If it was working before and is working now that tells us wiring is good leaving alternator as the problem. If it was a wiring problem it would not charge at all, it wouldn't be erratic. I would recommend trying another brand alternator, preferably OEM. Since those can be expensive a salvage yard alternator is also a option. Let me know if you have questions, thanks .

Ever get it figured out? Thanks.

Went with different brand, non refurb, and still doing it.
Dan, Technician