Ron Z.
Ron Z., - Pontiac Tech -
Experience:  18+yrs experience. State Inspector and Pontiac Diagnostics
18617752

When I try to start it i have lights but it just clicks once

when I try to start it i have lights but it just clicks once and won't start?
JA: Where exactly do you think the noise is coming from? And how long has this been going on?
Customer: under the engine and problems started yesterday. It wont start like dead battery twice then stated like normal
JA: What is the model/year of your Pontiac?
Customer: 2001 Montana Van v6
JA: Are you fixing your Montana yourself? What have you tried so far?
Customer: Yes tried changing battery found some corosion on terminals so cleaned that and tried boosting it. Bolt that holds battery in place is stripped so same battery
JA: Anything else you want the mechanic to know before I connect you?
Customer: How to get that stripped bolt out and there is a small white wire broken off something near the positive terminal. looks like it broke off something

Hi! Welcome to JustAnswer. Thanks for coming! I'm Ron and I'll be working with you on your question today.

Just to make sure I am clear- you are getting a 1-click per ignition cycle?

Customer: replied 3 months ago.
thinking it may be starter?

Please give me one moment to type out some info for you... sit tight one minute... I'll be right back!

Thanks for holding!
The 1-click per ignition cycle is the common, tell-tale sign of a faulty Starter Solenoid. On this vehicle, the solenoid is mounted to the starter and is usually replaced as a Starter Motor Assembly (the new starter comes with a new solenoid, it's just cheaper and easier this way). Carefully inspect the connections at the solenoid for any loose or damaged wires. If no problems are found, the starter is going to need to be replaced. Please be kind enough to leave a rating for our Q&A using the 'stars' at the top of the page or click 'Accept'. A 5-star rating is very much appreciated! Rating or accepting my answer does not cost you extra.

Customer: replied 3 months ago.
where is the starter located on the 3.4 motor and what do you think the white wire is that seems like it is going to the red positive terminal of the battery but broken off and I don't know where it connects.

The starter is located on the side of the engine closest to the front of the vehicle, bottom of the engine, just about at center. Best access will be from under the vehicle.

The white wire you mention I do believe is actually "grey". This is a fuseable link and it runs to the under-hood fuse block.

Were there any other questions I could help you with today?

Customer: replied 3 months ago.
Just looked again yes gray wire. So are you saying it connects somewhere to the fuse box which is above the battery. Also any ideas how to remove the bolt that secures the battery in place as it seems stripped and wont unscrew. My battery is old and I have a newer one to replace it

Correct. The grey wire goes to the under-hood fuse block.

If the battery mount bolt is stripped, then you'll need a damaged bolt removal tool. They look like regular sockets, but inside, they have a bit of a "bite" that will grab onto the stripped bolt. You can pick up a set of these at most local big-chain parts stores or tool stores.

Here's an image of the tool set to use: https://goo.gl/v5VZJj

The set sells for around $30

..

If you have no further questions, Please be kind enough to leave a rating for our Q&A using the 'stars' at the top of the page or click 'Accept'. A 5-star rating is very much appreciated! Rating or accepting my answer does not cost you extra.

..

HI! I noticed this Q&A was still open and you did not leave a rating, so I wanted to check in and see if there was anything else I could do for you on this? Any other questions you had? If you have no further questions, Please be kind enough to leave a rating for our Q&A using the 'stars' at the top of the page.