Pontiac

Pontiac problems? Ask a mechanic for answers ASAP

Passenger side headlight array is not working, bulbs work,

Passenger side headlight array...

Passenger side headlight array is not working

Mechanic's Assistant: Have you checked the fuses? Have you checked the bulbs?

Bulbs work, just replaced the bulbs, plugged in the passenger headlight array into driver side, all lights function

Mechanic's Assistant: What is the model/year of your Pontiac?

2006 also, the fog light on the passenger side is non responsive that wiring is spliced in a big back from the main connector to the headlight, so I suspect it isn't the connector thinking it is a fuse or relay in the power box

Mechanic's Assistant: Are you fixing your vehicle yourself? What have you tried so far?

I am fixing it myself so far... removed headlight assembly, replaced bulbs, connected headlight on opposite side of car and verified all bulbs work, on both headlight assemblies leads me to believe no power is getting to passenger headlight

Mechanic's Assistant: Anything else you want the mechanic to know before I connect you?

So I'm checking wiring back up to the power dist box k

7/12/2017
Mike S.
Mike S., ASE Certified Technician

Hi, I am Mike, welcome. I'm reviewing your question.

2006 Pontiac what model?

Customer reply replied 1 year ago
G6

Are both passenger side high and low beams not working?

Customer reply replied 1 year ago
Passenger Turn Signal, High Beam, Low Beam, and Fog light are all not working.

The fuses are the LH Low fuse #7 and the LH High fuse #11, both in the underhood fuse block.

But if both high and low don't work, I suspect a ground issue.

Customer reply replied 1 year ago
There was a black wire sticking out of the harness that looks like it had been chewed through by a rodent. I stripped the wire and twisted the two ends together.. might that be an issue?

Use a voltmeter or 12 volt test light, confirm you have a good ground on the voltmeter or test light hen check the yellow ire for low beam and light green wire for high beam for voltage,

Customer reply replied 1 year ago
hmmm.... that may be out of my experience level. I do have a volt meter. But I'm unsure how to use it.

The ground is G101 located left rear side of core support near the windshield washer fluid reservoir. Check it.

Customer reply replied 1 year ago
I'll give it a try, though it may take me a little while

Set the voltmeter to dc volts around like 15. Place the black negative lead on the negative battery post if it will reach or a good metal ground. Then place the red positive test lead on what you want to test and make sure the voltmeter is turned on if it has and on/off switch. Then you should read 12 volts to those wires. of course you will have to urn on the lightswitch and switch between high and low beams.

The left front turn signal also shares that G101 ground, but so does the left front parking light, so is the left front parking light also out?

Black wire chewed through? Yes, that would be the ground I was suspecting.

Here shows where G101 ground is.

Customer reply replied 1 year ago
Ok, Just got in there, that little black wire that was chewed through about a foot from the connector on the passenger side was the Ground, I can see where the ground is bolted to the frame and the wire fragments sticking from it.. I'm going to go find some insulated wire and splice it all back together but I suspect that is the issue.
Customer reply replied 1 year ago
probably take me about 15 min to do clean..

Ok.

Mike S.
Mike S., ASE Certified Technician
Customer reply replied 1 year ago
works like a charm. I soldered it all together and sealed with shrink tube.. Thank you so much... It's my wife's car, finally it is up and running. I love working on my jeep, not so much on my wife's car.
Customer reply replied 1 year ago
how do I complete the transaction?

Thanks, ***** ***** it.