Eric, Automotive Repair Shop Manager
Experience:  20+ yrs. experience as repair shop manager and technician.
3195632

Key stuck in ignition. Drained battery. Jump started it and

Customer Question

Key stuck in ignition. Drained battery. Jump started it and now Security is appearing in message window. Won't keep running after cables removed from other vehicle.
JA: Can you turn the steering wheel at all? And what about the key? Is it worn or damaged?
Customer: Key is only 2 years old. Replaced by dealership and rechipped due to bad tumbler assembly in 2015. 2003 Pontiac Aztek
JA: Are you fixing your Aztek yourself? What have you tried so far?
Customer: I'm actually trying to get to the dealership to address the stuck key issue
JA: Anything else you want the mechanic to know before I connect you?
Customer: Just wether or not it needs more running time on charge from other vehicle or needs to be reset from Security status and if so, is that something I can do myself
Category: Pontiac
Expert:  Eric replied 4 months ago.

HI,

I am sorry that you have not been helped yet. I just came online and saw your question

You need to put a charger on the battery and charge overnight. If security message still appearing, then you need to do the relearn procedure

30 minute GM relearn procedure:

1-Turn ON the ignition, with the engine OFF.
2-Attempt to start the engine, then release the key to ON (vehicle will not start).
3-Observe the SECURITY telltale(this is the security light), after approximately 10 minutes the telltale will turn OFF.
4-Turn OFF the ignition, and wait 5 seconds .
5-Repeat steps 1 through 4 two more times for a total of 3 cycles/30 minutes (the vehicle is now ready to relearn the Passlock(TM) Sensor Data Code and/or passwords on the next ignition switch transition from OFF to CRANK). IMPORTANT: The vehicle learns the Passlock(TM) Sensor Data Code and/or password ***** the next ignition switch transition from OFF to CRANK. You must turn the ignition OFF before attempting to start the vehicle.
6-Start the engine (the vehicle has now learned the Passlock(TM) Sensor Data Code and/or password).