Pontiac

Pontiac Problems? Ask a Mechanic for Answers ASAP

Pontiac

2000 grand prix gt headlight issues. Headlights dont work,

2000 grand prix gt headlight...
2000 grand prix gt headlight issues
JA: Are you fixing your Grand Prix yourself? What have you tried so far?
Customer: yes
JA: Anything else you want the mechanic to know before I connect you?
Customer: headlights dont work, but fog lamps, signals and tail lights work. if light switch is on you can pull the bright lever and the brights will come on as long as the lever is pulled
JA: Have you checked the bulbs? Have you checked the connection?
Customer: yes
5/19/2017
Jason Hablutzel

Hello, my name is ***** ***** I will be assisting you today on your Pontiac. Do any of the headlights work or just the high beams only when you pull back on the lever?

Only high beam when the switch is on and Le er pulled. When lights come on automatic with dark, then high beams won't light either
Please call

Sounds like you have a faulty dimmer switch which was common for going out on these vehicles it is part of the multifunction switch the lever that you pull back on. What happens is it will short out inside the switch and cause it to not make contact unless you hold the lever in flash to pass mode. Their is a few test you can do if you are familer with testing wiring circuits. I can send some of those over and or if you need insturctions on replacement I can send that also.

I a currently at work if you need a phone call I can open this to other techs at this time if you like.

No call needed as long as I'm not charged. Yes please send me some tests I can run to see if it is the dimmer switch
SuperDave
SuperDave, auto technician
Phone call session started
Anthony Uzmack

Hello my name is***** me see if I can give you the information you need to run some test to see if the headlamp dimmer switch is faulty.

Here is the diagnostic flowchart for low beams inoperative. As stated the headlamp dimmer switch is a common problem on these vehicles.

Step 1 will reference connector C201 which is a big 48 pin connector near the base of the steering column. I will supply the pinout so you can check the correct terminal for power. E12 is a Tan wire. You will be checking for power on this wire in the low beam on position. Backprobe if you are not familiar with the term is placing the test probe into the backside of the terminal without disconnecting the connector.

Step 1.

1. Turn the headlamp to the HEAD position.
  2. Turn the headlamp dimmer switch to the LOW position.
  3. Using a test light, backprobe between C201 terminal E12 and ground.

Does the test light illuminate?

Yes - Go to Step 2

No- Go to Step 5

Step 2

1. Disconnect the underhood electrical center connector C2.
  2. Using a test lamp, backprobe between the underhood electrical center harness connector C2 terminal F8 and ground.

Does the test light illuminate?

Yes- Go to Step 3

No -Go to Step 4

Step 3

Replace the underhood electrical center. Refer to Underhood Electrical Center or Junction Block Replacement in Wiring Systems.

Step 4

Repair the poor connection or open in circuit 12 between C201 terminal E12 and the underhood electrical center connector C2 terminal F8.

Step 5

Replace the headlamp dimmer switch. Refer to Multifunction Turn Signal Lever Replacement - On Vehicle in Steering Wheel and Column - Tilt.

Here are the repair instructions for the Multifunction switch if it deemed faulty. It is a bit involved just as a warning.

1. Verify that the lever is in the center of the OFF position.
  2. Disconnect the negative battery cable.

3. Disable the SIR system. - Pull Airbag Fuse
  4. Remove the inflatable restraint steering wheel module.
  5. Remove the steering wheel.
  6. Remove the steering column trim covers.
  7. Remove the wire harness straps (2) from the wire harness assembly (1) and the steering column.
  8. Disconnect the turn signal and multifunction switch assembly connector from the SIR coil assembly connector.

9. Slide the turn signal and multifunction switch assembly connectors (2) out of the steering column bulkhead connector (1).

10. Remove the pan head tapping screws (1) from the turn signal and multifunction switch assembly (2).
  11. Remove the turn signal and multifunction switch assembly (2) from the steering column tilt head assembly.

Installation Procedure

1. Using a small flat-blade tool compress the electrical contact and move the turn signal and multifunction switch into position on the steering column.
  2. Verify that the electrical contact of the turn signal and multifunction switch rests on the turn signal canceling cam.

Install the turn signal and multifunction switch screws to the turn signal and multifunction switch.

Tighten
    Tighten the turn signal and multifunction switch screws to 7 Y (62 lb in).

3. Connect the turn signal and multifunction switch connectors (2) into the steering column bulkhead connector (1).
  4. Reconnect the turn signal and multifunction switch assembly connector to the SIR coil assembly connector.
  5. Install the wire harness assembly (1) to the steering column wire harness straps (2).

6. Install the steering column trim covers.
  7. Verify that the lever is in the center or the OFF position.
  8. Install the steering wheel to the steering column.
  9. Install the inflatable restraint steering wheel module.
  10. Enable the SIR system.- Reinstall fuse
  11. Connect the negative battery cable.

Hopefully this information helps you solve your problem. If you find this answer acceptable please click accept answer and give me a positive rating so I can be credited for this question. Thank you very much :)

Anthony Uzmack
Anthony Uzmack
Anthony Uzmack