Joe
Joe, ASE Certified Technician
Experience:  ASE, electronics, Marine inboards and electronics, automotive drivability, all around repair tech,
20508815

1970 GTO changed ign to electronic now when it turns over it

Customer Question

1970 GTO changed ign to electronic now when it turns over it turns until it fires then seems to lock up.
JA: Are you fixing your GTO yourself? What have you tried so far?
Customer: new cap and rotor and advancing and retarding the timing.
JA: Anything else you want the mechanic to know before I connect you?
Customer: It will fire when cold but when it gets operating temp it wont start at all.
JA: Have you checked the battery, particularly the terminal connections? Are they corroded?
Customer: New.
Category: Pontiac
Expert:  George H. replied 4 months ago.

Hello I will help,

Is it a Pertronix system you installed?

Did you address the resistance power wire to the coil?

Customer: replied 4 months ago.
the system came out of a 1974 bonniville 400. All wires are going to coil but which is resistance and where does it run to?

The ignition wire runs from the I small terminal on the starter to the +side of the coil and has 12 volts when the starter is running with the key in the start position and the resistor wire comes to the + side of the coil when the key is in the run position.

As this is a non standard conversion I am going to OPT OUT as I don't know exactly what was done. If it was the Pertronix conversion I could continue.

Sorry I can't help you with this setup.

Expert:  Joe replied 4 months ago.

Thank you for allowing me to assist you, my name is Joe and I will be happy to help you with your concern today.

When you did the conversion what components where used?

When you dropped in the other distributor what was the process you used?

Is it starting and running at all and then stalling, I need more info on what exactly is taking place and to explain the "locking up" portion as well.

Thanks,

Joe

Customer: replied 4 months ago.
I have found the problem. It was the base plate on the carb. it was cracked and caused vapor lock and also the gear on distributor was wore.
Expert:  Joe replied 4 months ago.

Good morning,

Good to hear that you found the problems, that's part of why I was starting to ask about the distributor.

If you do have any further questions please do not hesitate to ask.

Otherwise thanks for coming to us and have a great weekend!

- Joe