Pontiac

Pontiac Problems? Ask a Mechanic for Answers ASAP

Pontiac

How do i remove the housing where the axle shaft goes into

trans. Right side auto trans...
how do i remove the housing where the axle shaft goes into trans. Right side auto trans, 97 pontiac grand am. The bushing is wore bad in mine and it leaks fluid even with a new seal.
5/16/2017
Lou P.
Lou P., ASE Certified Technician

Hello, my name is***** and i will do my best to assist you.I am going over your story now and will reply back soon with some info,thanks!

yeah it looks like it, but my housing will only come out about half an inch and gets hung up. My bushing is in the housing and not part of the dif.
I will send pictures tomorrow, and try to get some numbers off the transmission. I am not by the car at this moment.

ok sounds good.

these are the pictures i got. The picture you sent me i believe is of a slightly newer transmission than mine because i know the newer type will just pull right off. I went to the dealer and they said i have to buy the housing complete with the bushing, they don't sell the bushing separate. I did not buy it yet since i can't get mine out but it would only take them a day or two to get it.
IMG_0206.jpgIMG_0206.jpgIMG_0207.jpgIMG_0207.jpgIMG_0210.jpgIMG_0210.jpgIMG_0211.jpgIMG_0211.jpgIMG_0214.jpgIMG_0214.jpg

ahhh, did you remove the output speed sensor or the sensor that looks to be sticking out of the housing at the top left?

yeah i removed the sensor the first time i tried to take it off. then i just put another new seal in there and put it all back together, but actually this time it pushed the seal out of the housing, i guess since the bushing is so bad.

ok let me opt out, see if another tech has some insight, best of luck

Gary
Gary, Pontiac Technician

new expert here did you still need help ?

removing the sensor and the 4 bolts on the housing it should tap off and come off at one part

did you try that yet ?

yeah i tried that and mine will only come out about a quarter of an inch and then get hung up. i know the newer style will do that like from 2000 and on, but mine seems like it want to pull the diff out with it whereas the other one will just leave the diff in there and the housing slides right off. I am afraid to pull it off with a puller in case i break something inside and have to pull the whole transmission out.
GM Bob
GM Bob, ASE Certified Technician

Hello my name is Bob.

It sounds like the bushing is stuck on the diff carrier.

You could try to put a screwdriver between the housing and trans case.

Than with a punch or something that can reach the center pin on the carrier tape on it.

Keep going back an forth tapping and prying on the screwdriver. This should work the housing off the carrier.

The carrier maybe damaged that is why it is stuck on the bushing.

Please let me know if this helps.

I have not had the chance to look at it lately. I will try to look at it tomorrow morning.
That's fine.
Just keep me updated
GM Bob
GM Bob, ASE Certified Technician
Yeah Bob, you were right! The nose of the diff had swelled up a little but and was really tight in the bushing. I had to pull the housing off the diff with a puller. Thank you for the help, really appreciate it!

I'm glad you got it.

Thank you for letting me help.

GM Bob
GM Bob
GM Bob, ASE Certified Technician