Ivan Alvarez
Ivan Alvarez,
Experience:  lead technician at Performance Tire and Automotive
96641215

I have a Pontiac G6 2007 3.5. It was low on oil &

Customer Question

I have a Pontiac G6 2007 3.5. It was low on oil & transmission fluid from a half ass oil/ fluid change. While driving, it lost power 3 times in 30 min before refusing to start again. Sometimes the engine will almost turn over then cut off and other times it will just click like the starter solenoid. I used an OBDII & pulled P0011. I am attempting to locate the Camshaft timing solenoid (intake bank 1) but it's seeming impossible to find clear instructions on where it is located. I have removed the air filter area out of the way but can not recognize the intake solenoid. I'm not sure this is even the problem, which is where I need help! Thank you so much in advance!
* 6 ODBII codes-
- P0011 (the engine timing /bank 1)
- other 5 codes were various misfires I'm
assuming are due to the P0011.
Category: Pontiac
Expert:  david craig replied 2 months ago.

bank 1 is the right side, and here is the intake solenoid

Customer: replied 2 months ago.
On the right as in passanger side correct. I have been there looking, removed the air filter setup etc. I have a lot of pictures like you sent but that doesn't clearly tell me the location or how to get to it. I need step by step clear detailed instructions. I have been on this for 3 days looking at diagrams, pictures, drawings & all are contradicting each other & dont exactly match my vehicle layout under the hood.

ok

Customer: replied 2 months ago.
Ok? As in you'll get back to me with help or?

here you go my friend

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=JI3Z0R4fImg

please accept the answer and leave a 5 star rating for me if you were satisfied with my assistance. just remember, by accepting the answer and leaving a rating doesnt mean we are done. im here to help you until the vehicle is fixed.

Customer: replied 2 months ago.
That video is for the actuator and I'm looking for the bank 1 intake selonoid

thats the same thing.

Customer: replied 2 months ago.
The part removed on the video is not a selonoid. Is the actual selonoid by it or what?

ok, man good luck. maybe you'll listen to someone else.

Expert:  Ivan Alvarez replied 2 months ago.

Did you still need help?

Customer: replied 2 months ago.
plz

Have you filled the engine oil to the correct level?

If not fill it to the correct level and clear the codes. The actuator code can set due to low oil level so you need to rule out the simple stuff first.

Customer: replied 2 months ago.
once the car refused to start again I immediately corrected the fluid level on the transmission and oil however the car will still not start I was mistaken about the number of codes I pulled actually I only pulled the p0011 on this car if I clear the code will the scan tool be able to rescan and pull up any useful information even though the car will not start/ drive? The oil situation is a little confusing for me whenever I changed the oil prior to this happening & drained it tbe amount of oil that came out was unbelievable, ir looked to be way way too much. It was very dirty too. The confusing part is for the last 6 months I've had an oil leak. I was adding about a quart every 2 to 3 wks. Sometimes prompted by the oil light & other times I'd check the dipstick & it would show oil barely to the first bottom level line. So I can not figure out how the hell all this oil was in the car while reading almost empty or why it's damn near black when I would of expected any oil in there to look pretty new from constantly losing & refilling it. Im trying my hardest to learn & understand all this stuff, I know more than most women but am still pretty clueless overall, learning as I go lol, so plz forgive any dumb questions I might ask & be patient with me! Thank you so much for helping me out!

Your car holds close to 6 quarts of oil total. When the dipstick is at the bot***** *****ne it usually takes a quart to get it back to the top fill line. At this point clearing the light would be point less since the car is not starting.

The next step would be to see if the motor can be turned by hand. Depending on how low the oil level was its possible your motor may be seized up. This will need to be done at the crank shaft pulley. It will be the biggest pulley at the lowest point that your serpentine belt rides on.

This is a figure of what I'm talking about. The lowest pulley is the crank shaft pulley. You will have to turn it by putting a wrench or ratchet & socket that fits on the bolt and try to turn it clockwise. It will take some force to turn it but it should turn if its ok. If you can not get it to turn then your engine is most likely seized up. Let me know how it goes and we can go from there and you are welcome.

Customer: replied 2 months ago.
Thank you! I will be back at the car in about an hr and a half to try that. I will let you know the results asap!

Ok

Customer: replied 2 months ago.
Ok.... it won't budge... I pulled with as much force as I possibly could, tried using a hammer to hit the rachet & sprayed wd 40 rust release spray but nothing.

Not a good sign. Its looking like your engine is seized. Another thing to try would be to put a pipe on the ratchet to give you some more leverage. If still don't budge then its definitely seized up and your engine will need to be replaced.

Customer: replied 2 months ago.
Does the car need to be in drive or neutral to manually turn the crankshaft?

On an automatic it does not matter but you can try it in neutral.