Pontiac

Pontiac Problems? Ask a Mechanic for Answers ASAP

Pontiac

Dim Headlights, cannot locate all of the grounding points on

Customer Question
the engine/body....every person I have...
Dim Headlights, cannot locate all of the grounding points on the engine/body....every person I have talked to indicates this is a grounding problem. I have been to dealers whose mechanics "don't really have time" to go through the grounding system, I bought a Haynes Manual but cannot actually read it as to pix are confusing. I am more than willing to put my hands on every grounding screw on it, if only I can find out where they are. I fully can read that "check right side of firewall", well, that's alot of firewall, how many actual grounding points are there and exactly where are they located? Any help?
JA: Have you checked the fuses? Have you checked the bulbs?
Customer: Yes, every fuse, relay and maxi-fuse is fine. I have checked every headlight wire, taillight wire, every opening, every circuit board to rear lights, every mechanic I have been to has checked and and read the circuits and tell me "it's a grounding problem", ok, I believe them, battery is fine, the alternator does show a "slight" drain, and every one of them tells me "they don't have time"...........I have time, I need a very detailed view of where every one of the grounding points are, and I can clean every one of them myself, do those pictures or diagrams actually exist? I live in upstate New York but I will lay down in the snow if it's required. My vehicle runs perfectly, I still get 25 miles per gallon on this vehicle, not a single leak of any kind, only dim headlights, I have actually replaced both headlights, complete with sidelight assemblies so it's not an after market parts problem. I hit a pothole in the road up here about 2 years ago and the ABS light popped on, half of the radio backlight went dim and the headlights went dim.............and that's what I've lived with for two years. And those same old " I don't have time" answer, every single place I have called, investigated on the internet, etc, every mechanic, "it's a ground problem", so I actually believe it's a grounding problem. I simply want some darn pictures of where the actual physical grounding points are and as previously stated, I will lay down on the ice and snow and find them myself, if I can find some illustrations that tell me exactly where these points are.
JA: What is the model/year of your Pontiac?
Customer: 2002 Pontiac Montana.....it has the 25 gallon tank
JA: Are you fixing your Montana yourself? What have you tried so far?
Customer: I don't have the rear auxillary air-conditioner
JA: Anything else you want the mechanic to know before I connect you?
Customer: I've had the circuits examined. I put on the water pump, had battery tested, alternator and starter tested, some wiring checked.......all at the dealer, they all agree it's a ground problem and EVERY SINGLE one said "they don't have time"...
Submitted: 10 months ago.Category: Pontiac
Answered in 1 hour by:
1/21/2017
Pontiac Mechanic: Peter Bagley, Auto Service Technician replied 10 months ago
Peter Bagley
Peter Bagley, Auto Service Technician

Hello and welcome to just answer, my name is ***** ***** master tech here to try and help you. I cannot see or hear your vehicle so I rely on your input so I can help you better.. I read your notes and will not ask you to rate me until I solve your problem. I see no one really wants to get involved? Before we start I have a question, does your vehicle have drl day time running lights?

The main ground points are behind the left lower kick panel under dash, there will be more then one wire to it usually white with blk strips, All the headlights how ever ground through the DRL relay or module , that's what I would suspect.

All of those assemblies are fine....is it absolutely impossible to find someone who can tell me where the grounding points are at on this car....as in PHYSICALLY where they are located on this vehicle?
GM Tech (Cam)
GM Tech (Cam)
GM Tech (Cam), Pontiac Technician