Mike S.
Mike S., ASE Certified Technician
Experience:  ASE certified
20625509

2002 Grand Am. After removing cap on the overflow tank and

Customer Question

2002 Grand Am. After removing cap on the overflow tank and adding coolant I can't get cap to re engage on the threads. Any tricks?
JA: How many miles on the car? How has your mileage been lately?
Customer: 150K mileage remained constant over last 5 years. Minoe leaks etc. Just topping off coolant but now stuck because I cant get the cap to engage and tighten.
JA: Are you fixing your Grand Am yourself? What have you tried so far?
Customer: Just told you.
JA: Anything else you want the mechanic to know before I connect you?
Customer: nope
Category: Pontiac
Expert:  Mike S. replied 9 months ago.

Hi, I am Mike, welcome. I'm reviewing your question.

Expert:  Mike S. replied 9 months ago.

Check the threads on both the cap and the tank. If the threads on the cap are stripped, try a new cap. If the threads on the tank are stripped either replace the tank or try to repair the threads.

Expert:  Mike S. replied 9 months ago.

Did that answer your question? If so, kindly leave me a positive rating, so I get credit. After all, you have already made the deposit.
If you are texting from a cellphone you must scroll all the way back up to the top to see the rating button.

Customer: replied 9 months ago.
It turned out it wasn't the threads at all. Attached under the cap is a pressure relief devise sealed with an o-ring. I needed to bang down to seat the ring in the beck of the tank before the threads could engage.
Expert:  Mike S. replied 9 months ago.

Good to know.