Mike V.
Mike V., Auto Service Technician
Experience:  25 years of experience, Certified Subaru Technician and Nissan factory trained.
2921078

Carmakes one click sound whan key is turned but that is it.

Customer Question

Carmakes one click sound whan key is turned but that is it. Battery seems in good shape.
JA: Is the car in "Park" or "Neutral?" Do you know if your car has a "wheel lock" feature?
Customer: Car is in Neutral. Do not know if the car has a wheel lock.
JA: What is the model/year of your Pontiac?
Customer: Pontiac Bonneville 1997
JA: Are you fixing your Bonneville yourself? What have you tried so far?
Customer: Trying to fix myself. Just checked and made sure Battery was charged. Drove the car home. Worked fine then went to go somewhere an hour later and it wouldn't star.
JA: Anything else you want the mechanic to know before I connect you?
Customer: No I can't think of anything else. My thoughts are starter but don't want to dig into that before other possibilities are looked at.
Category: Pontiac
Expert:  Mike V. replied 8 months ago.

Thank you for your question!
My name is ***** ***** give me a moment to review your question and respond with the assistance you need!

Expert:  Mike V. replied 8 months ago.

So, to be clear, you get a single click under the hood with each turn of the key?

Customer: replied 8 months ago.
just a single click. I also answeted.previous question incorrectly the car id in Park
Expert:  Mike V. replied 8 months ago.

Ok

I am going to have to agree with you on the starter. It's most common to make a single click. If you can get under it and tap it with a hammer while a helper turns the key it might start for you. That would mean that the starter is bad, but might also allow you to get it to a better place to replace it.

As long as you are hearing some noise, like the click under the hood, that tells me the ignition is fine and the neutral safety switch is also doing it's job.

The starter test doesn't always work, but it might and that will prove it.

Please let me know what more I can do to assist you today. Also, please remember to rate my answer, Just Answer does not compensate me for my time and resources. Follow up questions are included in the price of your question. If you are using the free trial, or have a subscription a rating is still required.
Thank you so much!

Customer: replied 8 months ago.
I taped on the starter when my son tried to start the car and this didn't help. While I was under there I verified the clicking is definitely coming from the starter. I tried crossing the negative with positive post on the coil and this didn't help. With the loud clicking noise coming from the starter it made me believe evne more that it is the starter. Any other checks I can do to varify this?
Expert:  Mike V. replied 8 months ago.

This confirms a starter problem. Unless the engine is suddenly seized up

Please let me know if there is anything else I can do to help.
Also, please remember to rate my answer.
Thanks so much!

Expert:  Mike V. replied 8 months ago.

Thought I would check in and see if you needed any more help with this?