GM Tech (Cam)
GM Tech (Cam), Pontiac Technician
Experience:  GM Grand Master Technician 2007. 14 years experience.
10949255

The airbag light on the dashboard comes on when no one is in

Customer Question

The airbag light on the dashboard comes on when no one is in the passenger seat but goes off when someone is in the passenger seat. Is there a sensor that I need to replace or can this be fixed.
Category: Pontiac
Expert:  Ron replied 10 months ago.

My name is ***** ***** I am here to assit you with your question and help you resolve your concern.

Expert:  Ron replied 10 months ago.

The airbag light come on when the system sees a fault and when this happens the system will set and store a fault code and or codes. In order to determine what is failing you need to start with having the system scanned and the fault code retrieved. If you can get this done and post back with them I will help you with the proper repair.

Customer: replied 10 months ago.
Ok, is that something that can be done at a place like Auto Zone or do I need to take it to a mechanic?
Expert:  Ron replied 10 months ago.

A code reader will not usually retrieve Airbag codes. You are going to need a full scan tool to access the air bag system.