FIXITMAN
FIXITMAN, Mater Technician
Experience:  ASE MASTER CERTIFIED, AA DEGREE AUTO/DIESEL TECH
1627031

I have a 2006 Pontiac Torrent, and the power steering seems

Customer Question

I have a 2006 Pontiac Torrent, and the power steering seems to be failing. I understand that this particular model does not use power steering fluid. Can you verify this for me? And if our power steering is not properly functioning, is it simply a fuse issue? Will driving it cause any damage?
JA: Has the power steering module been scanned for codes?
Customer: No
JA: Are you fixing your Torrent yourself? What have you tried so far?
Customer: All I have done is asked the owners of the local auto parts store about it. They sold me a small bottle of power steering fluid and instructed me to watch the reservoir and hoses as my wife turns on the engine to try to detect any running or spurting fluid. When I logged on to Google to find the location of the reservoir, I found out that the power steering is electric rather than fluid-based.
JA: OK. To minimize me, please click the down arrow at the top right corner of this box.
Customer: So, what should I do now?
JA: Anything else you want the mechanic to know before I connect you?
Customer: No ma'am.
Category: Pontiac
Expert:  FIXITMAN replied 11 months ago.

Hello, my name is***** vehicle is equipped with electric power steering so there is no fluid or pump. It uses a series of sensors and an electric motor. These commonly fail and the motor and module need to be replace together as a unit. In some rare cases it may just have a bad fuse which is located in the fuse box under the hood and is labelled EPS. If the fuse is good then the unit needs to be replaced. A for driving it like this, besides the fact that it will be hard you will not cause any other damage. If you need any other help please let me know.

Customer: replied 11 months ago.
When you mention the motor and the module, are you referring to the engine motor or to some other motor? If the engine motor, this sounds very expensive.

I am sorry for the confusion. It is an electric motor which is what is used to move the steering. This electrical motor also contains a module, or computer, and they need to be replaced together.

Customer: replied 11 months ago.
Thank you.

No problem. If you need further help please let me know. Please rate when you have time also. Thank you.