Pontiac

Pontiac Problems? Ask a Mechanic for Answers ASAP

Pontiac

My 1997 Pontiac grand prix se over heat while sitting at the

traffic light JA: Have you checked...
My 1997 Pontiac grand prix se over heat while sitting at the traffic light
JA: Have you checked the coolant? Have you checked for a leak in the cooling system?
Customer: I putting coolant in it every other week.
JA: Are you fixing your Grand Prix yourself? What have you tried so far?
Customer: No I'm not. I had the water pump changed the radiator cap and radiator changed, thermostat changed. And had my engine flushed
JA: Anything else you want the mechanic to know before I connect you?
Customer: My car is getting stuck in park also.
10/16/2016
Eric, Automotive Repair Shop Manager

HI,

Ok, I need to the exact engine size. If you are not sure, post the 17 digit vin number and I can get it from that.

You stated that you are having to add coolant every other week. Are you seeing any coolant leaking onto the ground underneath the engine compartment

Customer reply replied 1 year ago
1G2WJ52K4VF293235
Customer reply replied 1 year ago
There is coolant in the car but it's rusty

HI,

Ok, last question - has the engine cooling fan been checked for it running

Customer reply replied 1 year ago
It's running

HI,

Ok, there is a very common issue on the 3.8L engine which is what is in your GP, which causes overheating and coolant loss without any showing up on the ground underneath it. This is a leaking intake manifold gasket and cracked manifold.

The cooling system needs to be pressure tested and if the pressure drops without any external leak, then the intake manifold and gasket need to be pulled and inspected and replaced if needed. On the low chance it is ok, then the headgasket would need to be replaced. But it is about 90% chance it is the intake.

If the intake and its gasket, it runs around $675 parts and labor to replace it

Please remember to rate service using the rating page so that I may receive credit. Thanks

If for any reason, you can't rate my answer OKAY, GOOD, or EXCELLENT today.
Please reply and let me know why, so I can help more/better.
All follow up responses are FREE, after completing the required rating

Please note that if you have a subscription service, you still are required to rate service, however you are not charged again. This is just so that your expert is credited for their time and services.Thank you.

Customer reply replied 1 year ago
Thank you for the knowledge

HI,

you are welcome

Eric, Automotive Repair Shop Manager
Eric, Automotive Repair Shop Manager