Tool Hut
Tool Hut, ASE Certified Technician
Experience:  Owner of a mobile diagnostics company assisting auto technicians with difficult vehicles
77480539

I turn the key to on position, only lights come on the dash

Customer Question

I turn the key to on position, only lights come on the dash but no sound from engine.
JA: Have you checked the fuses? The dashboard bulbs?
Customer: Yes.
JA: What is the model/year of your Pontiac?
Customer: 1998 Pontiac sungire
JA: Are you fixing your Sunfire yourself? What have you tried so far?
Customer: It has a new starter new spark plugs and wires put in.
JA: Anything else you want the mechanic to know before I connect you?
Customer: All this was done a couple days before and now it won't start.
Category: Pontiac
Expert:  Tool Hut replied 10 months ago.

Hi, My Name is ***** ***** for posting your question to just answer. I am a independent contractor for just answer. ASE Certified Master Auto Technician with 20 years experience. I am confident we can resolve your problem together.Please remember I don't know your skill level. I can't see, smell, hear, or touch the vehicle. It may take a few back and forth replies to get to a satisfactory resolution.There will probably be some equipment needed for a proper diagnosis. If you are not comfortable with this or do not have any test equipment please let me know ASAP. I also give you all of the information you may need in good faith expecting a positive rating. I am not compensated for my time until you leave a positive rating. Your rating should be based on the service you received.

Can you hear the starter turning the engine? DO you get a single click? Multiple clicks? No click sound at all?

Customer: replied 10 months ago.
No sound on engine, no click. Fuel pump comes on.
Customer: replied 10 months ago.
I was told it is the ignition key cylinder.

I doubt it is key cylinder. Do you have a test light?

Customer: replied 10 months ago.
My brother plugged in his computer to it but nothing came up on it. He said because the engine light is not on.

The engine light is not on with engine off?

Customer: replied 10 months ago.
No, the engine light is not on:
Customer: replied 10 months ago.
All the lights come on on the dash when the key is turn to the on position but no sound from the engine at all. No cranking.

OK. Please clarify when you turn the key on does the check engine or service engine soon light come on and stay on?

Customer: replied 10 months ago.
all those lights come on on the dash.
Customer: replied 10 months ago.
Headlights all work.

Did your brother have communication with just no codes when he plugged in or did he have no communication?

Do you have a test light?

What size engine do you have?

Customer: replied 10 months ago.
No codes came up. 2.2 L engine. I do not have a test light.

Can you get a test light? They are fairly inexpensive at the auto parts store. I need you to check for power at the small terminal at the starter when in start position.

Customer: replied 10 months ago.
My brother has one, he is checking it now.

Is your car a stick shift or an automatic?

Customer: replied 10 months ago.
Automatic
Customer: replied 10 months ago.
It's not working, where exactly is he suppose to put the teatwr
Customer: replied 10 months ago.
Tester

There is a large terminal on the starter and a small terminal. Place the wire side on a good ground and use the probe and place against the small terminal and have someone else try to start car

Should have a purple wire going to it

Customer: replied 10 months ago.
There is no voltage going to that, my brother connected the bolts using a screwdriver and it started.
Customer: replied 10 months ago.
Could it be the part that looks like a relay switch?

There is a switch on the transmission. The yellow wire should have power when in start position and also purple wire.

Customer: replied 10 months ago.
they have power

the purple wire has power? If yes that is the wire that goes to starter. It is broken somewhere. run a new wire.

Customer: replied 10 months ago.
if the wire has power, then it is broken?
Customer: replied 10 months ago.
When the key is in the on position and you connect the two terminals on the starter with a screw driver, the car starts up.
Customer: replied 10 months ago.
does this mean that the key cylinder is good?

As I stated previously I doubt you lock cylinder or ignition switch is at fault. Jumping the starter only proves starter is good. If the purple wire lights up test light at the switch on transmission and not on starter then yes it is broken somewhere. I would run a new wire.

It is broken from the transmission switch to the starter. It goes directly from transmission switch to starter

Hello, I have not heard from you in a few days. Do you still need assistance? I also noticed you haven't left a rating. I have assisted in good faith and am only compensated when you leave a positive rating. Please let me know if there is anything else you need to leave a positive rating. Conversations can always continue after a rating is received.