Pontiac

Pontiac Problems? Ask a Mechanic for Answers ASAP

Pontiac

Need to check the brake safety switch as no noise happens

Customer Question
when I turn the key...
need to check the brake safety switch as no noise happens when I turn the key. Confirmed battery is fine, alarm company rep helped me test the ignition bypass on the alarm, it is fine. Next step is the brake safety switch.
JA: Is the car in "Park" or "Neutral?" Do you know if your car has a "wheel lock" feature?
Customer: park and does have steering wheel lock. 2007 Pontiac Vibe.
JA: Are you fixing your Vibe yourself? What have you tried so far?
Customer: I am trying to fix it here in my driveway as it wont' start. Confirmed battery is fine by using jumper cables, alarm company rep helped me test the ignition bypass on the alarm, it is fine. Disconnected and reconnected a small back wire with clip on solenoid. seems fine. Next step is the brake safety switch,.
JA: Anything else you want the mechanic to know before I connect you?
Customer: Steering wheel moves freely, no noise at all when I turn the key. I saw there is a unit connected to the brake pedal that activates a switch when the brake is depressed.
Submitted: 1 year ago.Category: Pontiac
9/8/2016
Pontiac Mechanic: kwiggins29059, ASE Certified Technician replied 1 year ago
kwiggins29059
kwiggins29059, ASE Certified Technician

Hi, what's the year, model and engine size of the vehicle?

Customer reply replied 1 year ago
2007 pontiac vibe 4 cylinder
Customer reply replied 1 year ago
5TDZA23C45S342321
Pontiac Mechanic: Mike S., ASE Certified Technician replied 1 year ago
Mike S.
Mike S., ASE Certified Technician

The brake shift interlock is for shifting out of park when you press on the brake pedal, why do you want to test that if when you turn the key to start the starter will not crank?

Why is it you said this was a 2007 pontiac vibe 4 cylinder but that vin decodes as a 2005 Toyota Sienna 3.3l?

Customer reply replied 1 year ago
Soory that is my other car.
Customer reply replied 1 year ago
5Y2SL65877Z417820

Ok, you still didn't answer my first question.

What symptoms does this vehicle have?

Customer reply replied 1 year ago
No noise when I turn the key.
Customer reply replied 1 year ago
The battery has been confirmed good.

No noise from the starter and/or starter relay/solenoid, correct?

Customer reply replied 1 year ago
I looked at the
Customer reply replied 1 year ago
Correct

have you checked the fuses? is this an auto or manual trans? I assume auto since you said park.

Customer reply replied 1 year ago
Only the faint mechanical noise of the key turning. Check for burnt fuse: none seen.
Customer reply replied 1 year ago
Automatic

Here is the wiring diagram, check those fuses for voltage with a voltmeter or 12 volt test light on both sides of the fuses and if they are ok,let me know.

Customer reply replied 1 year ago
There is a fuse panel on the driver's side, under the hood, next to the air cleaner. Based on the info inside the lid, the fuse for the starter is a 30amp MAIN.
Customer reply replied 1 year ago
I have a new volt meter that has a Resistance function. Not sure if I am using it correctly.

There is also an "am2" fuse in the instrument panel fuse block.

in the instrument panel fuse block, that appears to be the cover for the fuse panel on the driver's side, under the hood, is it not.

Did that answer your question? If so, kindly leave me a positive rating, so I get credit.

Mike S.
Mike S.
Mike S., ASE Certified Technician