Pontiac

Pontiac Problems? Ask a Mechanic for Answers ASAP

Pontiac

I have a 2001 Sun fair put a new Starter on it two weeks ago

Customer Question
good morning I have a...
good morning I have a 2001 Sun fair put a new Starter on it two weeks ago now it will not in gage it just speeds nothing wrong with the starter I check it and it works fin wood that be the key switch
Submitted: 1 year ago.Category: Pontiac
9/3/2016
Pontiac Mechanic: Ron, ASE Certified Technician replied 1 year ago
Ron, ASE Certified Technician

Hello, my name is ***** ***** I am a professional here at Justanswer. Thank you for your question and I will assist you with your concern.

Can you please explain what you mean when you say the starter just speeds, do you mean it just spins?

Customer reply replied 1 year ago
when you turn the key it dose not the gear dose not in gage and there is nothing wrong
with the starter
Customer reply replied 1 year ago
sorry was doing something else at the sometime I was sending this when you turn the key the gear on the starter will not in gage it just spins

Okay if you take you volt meter and or a 12 volt test light and down at the starter with a helper holding the ignition key in the crank position dose both the smaller purple wire as well as the larger battery cable both read battery voltage while the starter is spinning?

Customer reply replied 1 year ago
ok I have not tried that that if there is not than whit is that one of the switch on the column under the dash

If the starter is spinning the its not the ignition switch. When the voltage at both wire for me and let see the results and we can work from there.

Customer reply replied 1 year ago
I have no help to day by my self so trying to work on this to get it done and out of hear by Monday, I know the starter is good it is new tock it back off and check it just to make sure it was that why I thought it had to be a switch smoewhere

When the check ed was the Bendix engaging?

Customer reply replied 1 year ago
that was fine that what whit I side the starter check out fine the Bendix engaging every time

Okay the red battery cable at the starter is the main power feed to the starter and the purple wire engages the Bendix when you turn the key to the crank position. If you 100% sure the Bendix is engaging then the problem has to be with the flywheel or the drive teeth on it are bad.

Customer reply replied 1 year ago
no I have check the flywheel no bad teeth the Bendix is fine I even tock it to a parts store put it on a tester and check out fine the Bendix engaging each and ever time I have check the wires to the starter all of them check ok

Okay if that is the case then it should engage the flywheel. Are you sure its the correct starter.

Customer reply replied 1 year ago
it has been in there for two week now it jut stop in gaging

Okay then it has to be a problem with the starter. There really is nothing else it can be if the flywheel looks good and the teeth are okay. The fact that it spins means the starter is getting the crank signal from the ignition.

Customer reply replied 1 year ago
ok I have hade the starter tested and the Bendix will in engage ever time that is what makes it so puzzling

Well it may with no load on it but its sure not engaging the flywheel when its mounted, its just spinning.

Customer reply replied 1 year ago
will that is what this tester dose it puts a load on the starter to test it to make sure it is working right

Yes the load test load the armature , it dose no load the Bendix. If you sure the Bendix is engaging like you have said then the starer should spin the flywheel.

Customer reply replied 1 year ago
you can watch the Bendix kick in on the tester ever time on the car you can here it spine ever time you turn the key

Well if that is the case then the the flywheel should spin.

Customer reply replied 1 year ago
that is something I all ready know but I dose not that is what has me puzzled

Well if you have check the voltage at both wires on the starter and your reading battery voltage and the starter is spinning the flywheel should as well. About the only thing left would be to check your voltage to be sure theirs not a voltage drop.

Customer reply replied 1 year ago
I don't know I guise I just go back to just playing with it some more it has to be something I am over looking I just t just need to keep trying
Customer reply replied 1 year ago
talk latter bye

Okay good luck, Im here if you need me.

Ron, ASE Certified Technician