GM Tech (Cam)
GM Tech (Cam), Pontiac Technician
Experience:  GM Grand Master Technician 2007. 14 years experience.
10949255

Have a 1984 Pontiac Fiero. Every so often the brake pedal

Customer Question

have a 1984 Pontiac Fiero. Every so often the brake pedal goes to the floor. I changed the master cylinder and this didn't help. The system does not loose fluid. When it goes to the floor you can pump up the pedal and it is ok for a while.
JA: Have you tried cleaning and oiling the brake pedal's pivot under the dash?
Customer: No I havn't but the pedal travel is fine. It just looses the brakes every so often and then when you pump up the pedal it's alright for a while.
JA: Are you hoping to fix this yourself? What have you tried so far?
Customer: I have changed out the master cylinder. There is no sign of fluid loss so I bled the brakes from the fluid lines attached to the master.
JA: Anything else you think the mechanic should know?
Customer: No thats it. there is no signs of fluid loss. The pedal travel is about one inch. There dfoes not seem to be any air in the system and the brakes work. The issue is that the pedal will go to the floor every so often .
Category: Pontiac
Expert:  david craig replied 1 year ago.

Hi Im David, thanks for visiting the site. try replacing the power brake filter and the brake booster check valve. those were always issues back in the day.

do you still need help?

hello????