sprinkles08
sprinkles08, ASE Certified Technician
Experience:  ASE Master and Advanced level certified. Factory trained with 17 years dealership experience
9825021

My brother hooked up the battery wrong on my car. We thought

Customer Question

Hello. My brother hooked up the battery wrong on my car. We thought it fried the ECM so we replaced it - that didn't work. Checked all the fuses, two are blown so we have to replace those. My key fob, though, will not unlock my car nor start my vehicle. We are thinking the key needs reprogrammed the vehicle since the ECM is new to the vehicle.
JA: Have you checked the fob's battery?
Customer: Yes. It sounds the car's alarm and unlocks the door but won't lock them or start it
JA: What is the model/year of your Pontiac?
Customer: 2009 Pontiac Vibe
JA: Are you hoping to fix this yourself? What have you tried so far?
Customer: Yes. I've only tried what I described in the first paragraph
JA: Anything else you think the mechanic should know?
Customer: The power locks and windows don't work manually either and when the key is inserted in the ignition the dash lights come on but nothing else. No radio or interior lights
Category: Pontiac
Expert:  sprinkles08 replied 1 year ago.

Hello and welcome to JustAnswer!

You most likely have a handful of different things going on. Reversing polarity will instantly damage any electrical component, you may also have a bad body control module, radio and possibly other failures that will be found once the engine is running. It's going to take electrical testing of each affected system to determine the cause of all problems.

Key fobs don't lose programming, if keyless entry stopped as a result of this it's likely because of a bad body controller. If no fuses are blowing then at this point a scan tool is going to be necessary to see what modules do and don't communicate and proceed with diagnostics from there; a replacement engine controller is going to need to be programmed to the vehicle before it starts in any event.