Dan, Technician
Experience:  Independent Shop Experience, 2 Year Automotive Diploma, & Access to Information Database
17871496

Trying to figure out what is wrong with my 2003 Pontiac

Customer Question

Trying to figure out what is wrong with my 2003 Pontiac Grand Am SE. I know it was severely overdue for an oil change. I was driving it at about sixty mph and it began decreasing in speed on its own as though it was not able to go faster. I pulled over because I could not accelerate and turned off the car. It has not turned on ever since
Category: Pontiac
Expert:  Dan replied 11 months ago.

Hello, my name is***** you try to start it does the engine turn over but not start or not even turn over? Thanks.

Customer: replied 11 months ago.
I don't know if it would be helpful to add oil, or change a filter or something. The fuel pump is inside the gas tank so getting to it is a huge ordeal for me. I don't want to put money into taking it someplace if it's going to be a major repair because the vehicle is so old and has 150,000+ miles on it. That said, if I can get it to run I would l
Expert:  Dan replied 11 months ago.

From description it sounds like it is turning over but not starting, I just want to make sure. Thanks.

Customer: replied 11 months ago.
It doesn't even try to turn over.
Customer: replied 11 months ago.
It doesn't make a clicking sound or anything. The internal lights just turn on.
Expert:  Dan replied 11 months ago.

Do you even hear the starter make a click sound when trying to start?

Customer: replied 11 months ago.
I'm going to go check right now to make sure it isn't clicking.
Expert:  Dan replied 11 months ago.

Ok, thanks.

Customer: replied 11 months ago.
Okay there is no click, just a low hum and all lights are bright.
Expert:  Dan replied 11 months ago.

So far it isn't sounding like anything too serious but some more testing needs to be done. With a multimeter monitor battery voltage, make sure it maintains at least 11v while trying to start. If so make sure 10 amp ACC PCM fuse G on interior fuse box has voltage with key in start position. If so remove starter relay and jump pin 87 to pin 30, let me know if that causes engine to turn over. Thanks.

Customer: replied 11 months ago.
Okay - I don't know to do any of that. Is there some sort of voltage tester I can purchase from an auto parts store?
Customer: replied 11 months ago.
if so will it test both the battery and the interior fuse box?
Expert:  Dan replied 11 months ago.

Yes you can buy a multimeter for around $20 from parts store which will do pretty much everything you can from home with testing. You can use a paperclip or wire to jump pin 87 to pin 30 on starter relay. Let me know how it goes, thanks.

Customer: replied 11 months ago.
Okay thank you - I will try to do this as quickly as possible
Expert:  Dan replied 11 months ago.

Sounds good, I'll talk to you then. Thanks.

Customer: replied 11 months ago.
Can you tell me where the starter relay is located? I'm googling it.
Expert:  Dan replied 11 months ago.

It is in fusebox under the hood, there is a daigram on fusebox cover that will show you which relay it is. Let me know how it goes, thanks.