Edgar
Edgar, ASE Certified Technician
Experience:  22 years General Motors Technician, ASE Master Tech certified
71268010

What wrong with my pont 2006 gp/gt DIC display message

Customer Question

what wrong with my pont 2006 gp/gt DIC display message service var effort steering
JA: Have you checked the fluids? How many miles are on the car?
Customer: 165000 yes chk fluid
JA: Are you hoping to fix this yourself? What have you tried so far?
Customer: yes i have replace driver side wheel hud bearing the light when out t/c ,abs ,service t/c when put on new hud bearing but the DIC display message will not reset what the problem
JA: Anything else you think the mechanic should know?
Customer: is there a sensor on the rackand pinion going bad
Category: Pontiac
Expert:  Edgar replied 1 year ago.
Hello my name is ***** ***** I'll be happy to help you today, the variable effort is an magnetic rotary actuator that is part of the rack and pinion the reason why is displaying the message is because there is a problem with that actuator and is setting a dtc which is been set in the electronic brake control module you need to check the dtc to properly diagnose the system and if the actuator is the problem the steering gear or rack and pinion need to be replace