GM Tech (Cam)
GM Tech (Cam), Pontiac Technician
Experience:  GM Grand Master Technician 2007. 14 years experience.
10949255

I have a 2002 Pontiac Grand Am. It was running great. Just

Customer Question

I have a 2002 Pontiac Grand Am. It was running great. Just replaced the serpentine belt last week. 3 days ago it wouldn't start. It tried to turn over but wouldn't . We swapped the fuel pump relay with the AC one and it started. So we bought a new fuel pump relay and replaced it . It ran for 2 days and is now doing the same thing again. Any suggestions???
JA: What shape is the serpentine belt in? Is it cracked, shiny, or frayed? And have you ever replaced one?
Customer: It broke while my daughter was driving it. We towed it to the shop and replaced it.
JA: Are you hoping to fix this yourself? What have you tried so far?
Customer: We swapped the fuel pump relay with the AC one and it started. So we bought a new fuel pump relay and replaced it . It ran for 2 days and is now doing the same thing again. We would like to fix ourselves if possible. It is my 17 yr old daughters car
JA: Anything else you think the mechanic should know?
Customer: Not that I can think of.
Category: Pontiac
Expert:  Dan replied 1 year ago.

Hello, my name is***** you checked for spark or tried to see if it will run on starting fluid? If not, try that and let me know. Thanks.

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
It runs fine when I change out the fuel pump relay. But only lasted a couple days
Expert:  Dan replied 1 year ago.

Have you checked for spark or tried to see if it will run on starting fluid?

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
I am at work now. How do I go about checking that? I will try when I get off.
Expert:  Dan replied 1 year ago.

You can spray starting fluid into throttle body to see if it runs while spraying if not you can use a spark tester to check for spark or ground spark plug while watching for spark Let me know how it goes, thanks.