Mike S.
Mike S., ASE Certified Technician
Experience:  ASE certified
20625509

I mistakenly put the jumper box cables on wrong on my trans

Customer Question

I mistakenly put the jumper box cables on wrong on my trans am for like a second n now it will spin over but wont start up i believe the fuel pump is not sending fuel to the fuel rail i wana kno whats wrong
JA: Does the engine turn over? How old is the battery?
Customer: It will turn over but wont start up n i just bought a bew battery n its still doin the same thing
JA: What year is your Trans Am?
Customer: 98
JA: Are you hoping to fix this yourself? What have you tried so far?
Customer: Yea i would like to fix it myself, i check the relay n fuse to the fuel pump n they fine, i am getting power to the fuel pump, i kinda think the security mayb have cut off the fuel
JA: Anything else you think the mechanic should know?
Customer: No thats it, i work on cars myself just kinda stuck at this point
JA: OK. Got it. I'm sending you to a secure page on JustAnswer so you can place the $5 fully-refundable deposit now. While you're filling out that form, I'll tell the Pontiac Mechanic about your situation and then connect you two.
Category: Pontiac
Expert:  Mike S. replied 1 year ago.

If you have voltage to the fuel pump it should run unless one of 2 things, he fuel pump is bad or the ground is loose/bad. It would have nothing to do with security if there is voltage to the fuel pump. You can check the ground, by placing the positive voltmeter lead on the ground as close to the pump as you can get it and placing the ground voltmeter test lead on a good metal ground or if you feel like making a long jumper wire, attach the ground test lead to the negative battery terminal., Then turn the key to run or have someone else turn it to run, because you usually only have like 2 seconds that the fuel pump relay will send voltage to the fuel pump and check the voltmeter while the fuel pump has power. the volt reading on the ground circuit should be 0 volts, if it reads anything over that, that is the amount you are loosing because of a bad ground. If for instance it read 12 volts, that would mean that the ground is completely not hooked up, if it read let's say 4 volts, the ground could be loose. If it does read 0 volts and you have 12 volts going to the fuel pump, then the fuel pump is bad.

Expert:  Mike S. replied 1 year ago.

The ground is at the left door sill. Here is the wiring diagram,

Expert:  Mike S. replied 1 year ago.

JustAnswer® is not a free service. I work hard to make sure you're satisfied with my service and I only get credit for my answers based on your rating. Once you're satisfied, please leave a positive rating.