Pontiac

Pontiac Problems? Ask a Mechanic for Answers ASAP

Pontiac

Have a slow coolant leak passenger rear of engine (it

Customer Question
appears) drips down block on...
have a slow coolant leak passenger rear of engine (it appears) drips down block on exhaust manifold pipe. very hard to see in this area (alternator/other parts in way). not sure if this could be the head gasket. Lots of comments on cross over tube gasket. thoughts?
JA: Is this your first time dealing with this issue? What size is your engine?
Customer: sorry... Its a 3.5 2007 Pontiac G6 GT. Its been leaking slowly for about 8 months to a year. dealer said it was the reservoir, which they replaced. No surprise it didn't fix it. Daughter taking it to school 4 hrs away this fall and I want to get it fixed
JA: What is the model of your '07 Pontiac?
Customer: About 86K miles on the car
JA: Are you hoping to fix this yourself? What have you tried so far?
Customer: may try myself... depending on how major.. All I've done is cleaned the engine good and tried to identify where it is coming from. Doesn't appear to be hose or radiator related.
JA: Anything else you think the mechanic should know?
Customer: no.. nothing else I can think of
JA: OK. Got it. I'm sending you to a secure page on JustAnswer so you can place the $5 fully-refundable deposit now. While you're filling out that form, I'll tell the Pontiac Mechanic about your situation and then connect you two.
Submitted: 1 year ago.Category: Pontiac
6/29/2016
Pontiac Mechanic: Chris (aka- Moose), Pontiac Technician replied 1 year ago
Chris (aka- Moose), Pontiac Technician

Welcome, I'm Chris (aka Moose).

How much coolant is lost over how many miles?

Any way to get me some pictures of the area you think its coming from so I can point out the possible leak origins?

Customer reply replied 1 year ago
Hi Chris - The car right now is used for airport travel and casual around town use. My measure is more around daily use and pressurization cycles then mileage. Its used now every day and goes about 1-2 weeks before the reservoir needs to be refilled (to 80%). I snapped two pictures this morning before work (not great) to show the general area. I'm taking off Friday and was thinking of pulling the alternator and power steering pump, as well as putting on ramps to get a better view (above & underneath). I saw on RockAuto that the crossover gaskets (right/left) are not that expensive and was thing of jus replacing anyway. Not sure what you think about that. Would you recommend I just send you better pictures on Friday. Thanks for your help.

Yes I do believe some better pics would help zoomed in and out with a flashlight on the suspect area.

Do you know anyone with a cooling system pressure tester?

Hello again Chris here,

I am contacting you because the post has not been closed or rated. We have 7 days to get a post rated before it times out. When a post times out, that means its no longer on my active list (if you reply I never know it.) You have already paid the fees to get this question answered, but it appears you're not pleased, or need more help.

Let me help some more. Is there anything else you feel I could offer so you would be pleased with my help. I have the option to call you if that would be better.

Thanks Chris

Customer reply replied 1 year ago
Thanks Chris I was not able to pull off the alternator and power steering pump when I got home tonight due to major thunder storms. Will try this weekend but will be a little hard being a holiday weekend. When will this close and if it does is there anyway to get final pictures and comment from you? Thank you and have a great 4th.

Seven days from the 28th is when the post is set to close.

Customer reply replied 1 year ago
Hi Chris -- I took apart the upper passenger side of the engine (air cleaner box, alternator, power steering pump, pulleys) and it was still hard to see the leak. I jacked up the car and took pictures from underneath showing you the leak (see attached). You can see clearly where the antifreeze is dripping onto the exhaust pipe. This is the area behind the tension pully (back passenger side). Very hard to see in this area in general, but it appears to me that this is coming from the back gasket of the cross over tube assembly. Appears to be leaking behind a bolt, running down the engine and electrical and dripping on the muffler. What do you think?
G6_1.jpgG6_1.jpgG6_2.jpgG6_2.jpgG6_3.jpgG6_3.jpgG6_4.jpgG6_4.jpgG6_5.jpgG6_5.jpgG6_6.jpgG6_6.jpg

Man it is just to hard to tell without seeing it in person. Would you like the steps to remove the cross over to address its seals?

Customer reply replied 1 year ago
Sure. Thanks. Given your experience where the leak generally is, does the cross over gasket seem probable?

Yes the cross over does appear to be the most likely source. Most techs will use a cooling system pump to bring the system to max pressure so they can see the leak better.

https://dl.dropboxusercontent.com/u/90220402/cross1.pdf

https://dl.dropboxusercontent.com/u/90220402/cross2.pdf

Chris (aka- Moose), Pontiac Technician