Master Auto Tech.
Master Auto Tech., A.S.E. Certified Master Technician
Experience:  over 20 years repairing both import and domestic automobiles
17920890

I have a 1996 Pontiac Bonnevile SSE. It won't start. The

Customer Question

I have a 1996 Pontiac Bonnevile SSE. It won't start. The panel lights up but will not start. The security light came on and the interior lights would not go out. I disconnected the battery to save it. This car has a new battery, a new alternator and a new starter.
JA: Does the engine turn over? How old is the battery?
Customer: No it doesn't. The battery was purchased in February.
JA: What is the model of your '96 Pontiac?
Customer: Bonneville SSE
JA: Are you hoping to fix this yourself? What have you tried so far?
Customer: I'm hoping I can fix this. I feel that it may be something wrong with the security system. It did this once before. I got out of the car, locked it. Unlocked the door and it started.
JA: Anything else you think the mechanic should know?
Customer: The interior lights popped on once while I was driving. I hit the lock button on my door and they went out.
JA: OK got it. Last thing - Pontiac Mechanics generally expect a deposit of about $18 to help with your type of question (you only pay if satisfied). Now I'm going to take you to a page to place a secure deposit with JustAnswer. Don't worry, this chat is saved. After that, we will finish helping you.
Category: Pontiac
Expert:  Ryan Schott replied 1 year ago.

do you have more than one key? yours has the chip/pellet in the key correct?

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
One key to unlock the doors and trunk and one for the ignition.
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
the chip/pellet is in the key

do you have more than one ignition key?

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
No I only have one.

check the airbag fuse first and let me know if it is good.

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Looks good
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
It's still good.

do you have a test light or a meter to test with?

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
I do not .
Expert:  Master Auto Tech. replied 1 year ago.
I'm sorry you are having problems with your vehicle. I will try to help.I'm a full time mechanic and have been a mechanic for over 20 yrs and I work part-time here on JustAnswer to help you and others repair their own vehicles, and I get credited by your ratings.. So before leaving the site make sure and leave me a rating. You can still reply to me as many times as neeed, even after the rating.. I will need for you to be my hands and eyes since I'm not there.Do you still need help with this problem?If so when you say the interior lights won't go out, do you mean the map lights? Or the dash lights and or instrument cluster lights?And does the security light ever go out?Let me know and I'll continue to assist.Thanks
Sonny
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
I no longer have the problem.