Pete, Pontiac Technician
Experience:  17 Years Pontiac Technician and training.
14928985

I have an 04 Grand Prix GTP Comp Grp. A couple of weeks ago

Customer Question

I have an 04 Grand Prix GTP Comp Grp. A couple of weeks ago I had the Variable effort Steering light come on then a week of so later I had the ABS Traction Control and Stability Control messages come up. I have 2 new front wheel bearing assy's installed and the EBCM repaired. The Variable Steering and ABS issues have gone away, but the traction and stability system codes remain. (P0856 and P0608 codes) I measured all wires to ground and have ZERO shorts. I have also measured my resistance from the main harness through each wheel and get 1.079kOhms, 1.081kOhms, 1.101K ohms, and 1.124Kohms. I have read that these need to be between 800 and 1600 ohms while being within 10% of each other (which they are) but yet I still get the codes. At first the codes popped right away and the systems shut down, but since having the ebcm repaired: two of the codes are gone and it takes about 10 seconds for the other two codes to pop up and shut down the two systems.
JA: Do you have a scan tool to read the codes?
Customer: yes
JA: What is the model/year of your Pontiac?
Customer: 2004
JA: Are you hoping to fix this yourself? What have you tried so far?
Customer: See initial msg
JA: Anything else you think the mechanic should know?
Customer: no
JA: OK. Got it. I'm sending you to a secure page on JustAnswer so you can place the $5 fully-refundable deposit now. While you're filling out that form, I'll tell the Pontiac Mechanic about your situation and then connect you two.
Category: Pontiac
Expert:  Pete replied 1 year ago.

My name is ***** ***** I am a professional here at Just Answer. I noticed that your question had not received a response and thought I would see if you still need help with this.I apologize for the delay and I hope I can still assist you with this here.

If you have not had the wiring checked/tested leading from the abs control unit and under hood this needs done.I would have it checked for any damaged or corroded or even shorted wiring as well as a connection issue at the abs unit itself.If this was already checked and found o.k. let me know so we can continue.

If more help is needed, use the reply tab to continue our conversation. If no further assistance is needed, kindly rate my service.You can rate at any time and we can continue to work on your question as this will not close out your question.Keep in mind in some cases it can be difficult to fully diagnose or help repair your vehicle without seeing it and I work on delivering the best possible answer from what I see to work with.

Thanks Pete