Pontiac

Pontiac Problems? Ask a Mechanic for Answers ASAP

Pontiac

1994 3800 46,000 miles when going to stop and slow down the

Customer Question
1994 3800 46,000 miles when going...
1994 3800 46,000 miles
when going to stop and slow down the engine stalls
starts right up after it stalls
does this stalling once in a while sometimes not for days
does not mater if its cold or warmed up, u never know when, but differently when you are slowing down to stop
idles fine, no hesitation, drive fine on the highway and around town
rpms steady at idle
never stalls at idle
replaced cam & crank sensor
Submitted: 1 year ago.Category: Pontiac
6/18/2016
Pontiac Mechanic: Ron, ASE Certified Technician replied 1 year ago
Ron, ASE Certified Technician

Hello, my name is ***** ***** I am a professional here at Just Answer. I have noticed that your question was not getting a response and thought I would see if you still need help with this.I apologize for the delay and I hope I can still assist you with this here.
I would start with doing a couple of things that may help you resolve this concern, first disconnect the negative battery cable and then take some carb cleaner and a soft cloth and give the throttle body and plate a good cleaning and while doing so also take some MAF cleaner and give the Mass air flow sensor a good cleaning and then reconnect the cable , start the engine and allow it to idle for 15 to 20 minutes to allow the computer to reset. After doing this, take it for a drive and see if the problem has cleared.

Customer reply replied 1 year ago
How do ybu actually remove the throttle body
Is there just 2 componets to b the throttle body
MAF
Idle
Bruce

The throttle body consist of it and the TP sensor, you do not need to remove it to clean it. It can be cleaned on the car.

Customer reply replied 1 year ago
Removed the mass flow sensor and cleaned with mas flo

Be sure to clean the throttle body as well and when doing both also disconnect the negative battery cable before you do both.

Customer reply replied 1 year ago
Sensor
Put back together ran worth idle jumping no guts
I replaced the mass flow sensor with a new one ran smooth
Drove for an hour with no issues stopping slowing down
When I went to park it it stalled
Started right up
So maybe when it's warmed up
So what's next
So far replaced
Mass flow sensor
Cam & crankshaft sensor
Air filter
Bruce
Customer reply replied 1 year ago
Did also clean the trotted body when I had the mas flow sensor out
Idles good
Rpm steady
When I put the air on Idles nice

So are you saying that took care of the stalling ?

Customer reply replied 1 year ago
no it still stalls
after I replaced the Mass flow sensor it ran fine smooth
I drove it for an hour and ran fine, slowing down and stopping, then when I went to park it stalled
so still have the same stalling issue occasionally
Now it stalled when it was completely warmed up
replaced
Mas flow sensor, before I installed the new on I clean the throttle body
crankshaft sensor
camshaft sensor
air filter
Bruce

Bruce is the check engine light coming on and if so are there any fault codes?

Customer reply replied 1 year ago
The engine light has been on for a year. I tried to read it with my plug in reader that I used on my olds Silhouette 3800 motor but doesn't plug in. doesn't match. Is there another way to read it by jumping the pins. Do you have that procedure and drawing
I believe this only has 7 pins, not many.
When I purchase motor parts such as the cam sensor, crank sensor & mas flow I used 1994 Pontiac Bonneville for the car, those were the books that came with it.
But the pic I sent you is of the olds steering wheel assembly and dash board that was installed.
Remember this is a Winnebago LeSharo that came with a Fiat 4 cylinder motor and a conversion to a 6 cylinder with complete front end was done by a company that specialized this conversion years ago.
So I'm not 100 % sure what the motor is out of other than it is a 3800 series.

Im not sure where to go with this, I was assuming you where working on an 1994 Grand AM that you have listed. Because its a conversion its going to need some hands on testing . I can open the post back up for you and perhaps someone else may have something new to offer.

Customer reply replied 1 year ago
ok
Ron, ASE Certified Technician