Pontiac

Pontiac Problems? Ask a Mechanic for Answers ASAP

Pontiac

Hey, I have a question about my 2006 Pontiac G6.

Customer Question
For a little while I've...
Hey, I have a question about my 2006 Pontiac G6. For a little while I've been having problems starting up the engine. At first it was the key being worn down so I switched it and haven't had any problems. The last two months however, after a day of start and stops it got harder to start aftersay, 4 times. Friday, it finally quit on me. It started up fine and after the 4th time I had to rev up the engine to get it to start. After that it was fine. About the 6th time I tried to start it up after driving around, I got nothing at all. My lights and accessories still work but I don't hear anything at all when I turn the key to start. I got a boost and that didn't work either. I thought that maybe if it sat for a while it would be ok so I tried to start it up one more time today and my headlights go completly out when trying to start and turn back on when I release the key from the start position. That didn't work. I swapped out the battery and still nothing. Do I need a new alternator and or starter? Thanks
Submitted: 1 year ago.Category: Pontiac
5/9/2016
Pontiac Mechanic: Ron, ASE Certified Technician replied 1 year ago
Ron, ASE Certified Technician
Hello, my name is ***** ***** I am a professional here at Just Answer. I have noticed that your question was not getting a response and thought I would see if you still need help with this.I apologize for the delay and I hope I can still assist you with this here.Before you replace any parts the first thing you need to do is to scan the computer system to see what the fault code and or codes are that should be setting when it will not crank. If you can get this done and post back with the results I will help you get this resolved.
Customer reply replied 1 year ago
Thanks Ron. That's the first thing I thought of but I have no way of checking the codes from the computer since I don't have a reader.
Okay unfortunately its prettym uch a guessing game with out knowing the fault codes. Is you theft light coming on?
Customer reply replied 1 year ago
No lights at all. Everything works as it should from what I can tell. I'm about to swap out the starter since I really think that's it. A few times it'd take a little bit longer to start up my car than normal but eventually it would come on. It's was like a stutter but that's only occasionally. I think it just finally gave out because when I try and start it, the headlights go completely out. Should I take the alternator out as well to get it checked out? The car's never quit while driving so it might be ok, but you never know.
If you suspect the starter you can check it by taking your volt meter and with a help holding the key in the crank position check and see if you have battery voltage at the small start wire as well as the larger battery cable wire at the starter. If both wire show battery voltage and the starter will not spin then you are correct and the starter has failed.
Ron, ASE Certified Technician