Pontiac

Pontiac problems? Ask a mechanic for answers ASAP

Ok i went to replace the timing chain in a 07 g5 with a 2.2.

Customer Question
ok i went to replace...
ok i went to replace the timing chain in a 07 g5 with a 2.2 . i took it apart 180 degrees out of top dead center . can i just roll the camms 180 degrees
Submitted: 2 years ago.Category: Pontiac
3/7/2016
Pontiac Mechanic: Derek Werner, Pontiac Technician replied 2 years ago
Derek Werner
Derek Werner, Pontiac Technician

Hello and welcome!

Yes you can just turn the cams and crankshaft to get in the correct position. Just ensure you turn everything by hand so no damage is done to the internals of the engine. If you need any more help please let me know. If you feel anything binding just back off and try again.

Thanks

William.

thank you . how do i determen the proper crank shaft position
if im not mistaken the crank postion determans firing order

to find TDC you will need to remove the number 1 spark plug. using a long screwdriver or something else turn the engine over until the piston is at the very top, this can be done by watching the movement of the screwdriver.

There is a timing mark on the lower timing chain gear. There will be a spacer that needs to be removed to see the proper mark on the lower timing chain gear. There will be 3 colored links on the new chain that you will allign with the camshaft gears and lower timing gear.

is there a crank seser that needs to be lined up

No you should be ok. the crankshaft sensor is located under the starter. It does not need to be alligned, it is bolted into place under the starter.

If you align all of the colored links with the proper marks on the cam, exhaust and crank pullys everything will be in time.

Hi, I haven't heard back from you in a while i am just checking in. If you have any other questions please feel free to ask.

Thanks