Pontiac

Pontiac Problems? Ask a Mechanic for Answers ASAP

Pontiac

I have a 2006 Pontiac Grand Prix. I just redid the intake

Customer Question
and leaks around the water...
I have a 2006 Pontiac Grand Prix. I just redid the intake and leaks around the water pump. We drove about 450 miles for me to have surgery and back with pretty much no issues. Now while you are driving the tach will go all over and the car will stall when you even try to turn right. We put in a new crank sensor and still does it. If you are sitting in the drive way usually idles fine turn the wheel right and left no real drop in the tach. But as soon as you go to drive it the car will act up and 99% of the time stall on you. And seems to be running rich. Just went over all the wiring from top to bottom and cleaned all connections. And still have the issue. I cleaned the throttle body , mass air and no help. The check engine light will flash but it wont throw any codes???? Help please
JA: Leaks can get messy. The Pontiac Mechanic will know what to do. Are you hoping to fix this yourself?
Customer: yes
JA: Great! What have you tried so far?
Customer: everything I can think of as well as many other mechanics that I know
JA: Is there anything else important you think the Pontiac Mechanic should know about your Pontiac?
Customer: no
JA: OK. Got it. I'm sending you to a secure page on JustAnswer so you can place the $5 fully-refundable deposit now. While you're filling out that form, I'll tell the Pontiac Mechanic about your situation and then connect you two.
Submitted: 1 year ago.Category: Pontiac
3/1/2016
Pontiac Mechanic: Pete, Pontiac Technician replied 1 year ago
Pete, Pontiac Technician

My name is ***** ***** I am a professional here at Just Answer. I noticed that your question had not received a response and thought I would see if you still need help with this.I apologize for the delay and I hope I can still assist you with this here.

With the tach issue and check engine light flashing and you have replaced the crank sensor and checked over all engine wiring and connections and found no issues at all this sounds like the PCM itself is at fault.I have seen this fail before internally needing replaced for this issue here.I would have the PCM power and grounds tested to make sure they are all o.k. and no wiring damaged leading to the PCM and make sure the battery cables are clean and tight at the battery as well as to where the cables run and connect to.If these are all found to be o.k. the PCM usually needs replaced to correct this here.If any other gauges or electronics are acting up with this issue here the other component I see that causes this is the electronic ignition switch itself needing replaced.

If more help is needed, use the reply tab to continue our conversation. If no further assistance is needed, kindly rate my service.You can rate at any time and we can continue to work on your question as this will not close out your question.Keep in mind in some cases it can be difficult to fully diagnose or help repair your vehicle without seeing it and I work on delivering the best possible answer from what I see to work with.

Thanks Pete

Customer reply replied 1 year ago
Is there any way to check the pcm or the switch? Is the pcm and the dealer only or need programed

The pcm can be purchased used or new and from a dealer or local parts store or salvage yard.Wherever it is ordered or obtained from though it will need programmed by a dealer to match your model vehicle here.

The ignition switch can be tested by having the signals tested from the switch to see if it is sending the correct signals.This will need done using a scan tool to observe the signals from the switch and a multi meter for testing.

If you have no other electrical issues with your model here though except what is occuring here I would lean more on the PCM itself at fault needing replaced.I have had to replace this before for this type of fault here.

Let me know if you need anything else and feel free to rate my help here.

Thanks Pete

Customer reply replied 1 year ago
Sorry I don't mean to sound like an idiot. But is the ecu and pcm the same thing. The only thing they seem to show under com is for the 5.3. They did under the one site show a power steering control module. Or if I just call the dealer should I just ask for a computer

The PCM or sometimes called the ECM are the same thing.This would be either the powertrain control module or engine control module.

Thanks Pete

Customer reply replied 1 year ago
Where would this be located

The PCM is located inside the air filter box in the engine bay.You would need to take apart the air filter box to access it.Below is a picture of it.

https://www.dropbox.com/s/g7ghm7pevhgmjix/ecm-03-01.gif?dl=0

Customer reply replied 1 year ago
Sorry it took so long to get back to you. I just had another ecm put in and installed. Cost a lot of money but did not solve the issue. I still stalls when you are in gear and trying to turn right. Anything else I have to travel 450 miles to have surgery in 2 days please figure this out.
Customer reply replied 1 year ago
Is there anything else

I apologize for the delay.

Was the PCM programmed when it was installed?

This is a tough one for me myself to answer here but someone else may be able to help further on this.

I will open your question up for others here to see if someone else can assist further on this as there may be others here that may have more info on what to check or do with this issue.I hope you can get this resolved with ease.No need to reply to my last post here unless it is a last resort as it will keep your question locked to me and others will not be able to view it.If you feel you want to continue to work with me on this feel free to reply at any time but keep in mind in some cases it can be difficult to fully diagnose or help repair this without seeing your vehicle.

Thanks Pete

Customer reply replied 1 year ago
Well it has been 7 days and no other help?!?!?!
Customer reply replied 1 year ago
I still have not got any kink of an answer
Pete, Pontiac Technician