Chris (aka- Moose), Pontiac Technician
Experience:  16 years of experience
2499435

1997 sunfire won't start. All fuses are good, fuel pump

Customer Question

1997 sunfire won't start. All fuses are good, fuel pump relay is good. Relay not clicking when plugged in. Relay socket hot on one post, the other three are not. Has anti theft light that stays on when in the run position.
Category: Pontiac
Expert:  Chris (aka- Moose) replied 1 year ago.

Welcome, I'm Chris (aka Moose). Experts aren't employees / agents of Just Answer. We are independent service providers using the Site to sell their Expert knowledge to Customers. I strive to provide EXCELLENT 5 STAR service, let me know what's needed from me so your pleased.

When you checked the starter relay di you have the key held in the start position when checking pins for power?

Have you tried reprogramming the pass lock theft key?

Thanks for asking your question and letting me try to help you.

If your confused on why or how to rate me, let me know.

I'm only paid from the deposit you've made when you rate 3,4, or 5 stars.

Follow up/Reply as many times as needed before or after rating.

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
I did have the key in on position when checking for power at the relay plug in ( one post was hot but none of the other three were). I also tried to reset by leaving key in run position for ten minutes then turning to off position for five seconds, repeating three times in a row. Showing low voltage on one of the wires back at the fuel pump. The rest of the wires at the fuel pump have no power with key in run position.

The key needs to be held in the START position when checking the pins at the starter relay. Can you do that?

You mentioned the fuel pump relay, is the concenr it cranks but does not start from no fuel pressure or it will not will not crank?

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Shoot, sorry I left That out. It cranks fine and getting fire. Just not getting fuel. Thought it was fuel pump at first but after checking fuel pump relay, I found that it was not clicking. Sorry about leaving out critical fact.

No problem.

2.2 or 2.4 engine?

Coupe sedan, convertible?

Auto or Manual transaxle?

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Pontiac sunfire Gt 2.4 automatic.

Below is a link to your circuit.

https://dl.dropboxusercontent.com/u/90220402/sunfire.pdf

With the pump relay removed and a wire jumped from pin 3-5 does the pump run and does the car start?

Is pin 1 always grounded?

You already verified pin 5 is powered all the time and pin 2 is not powering up with the key on.

Turn the key on and leave it for 10 minutes, does the theft light go out?

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Jumper doesn't run fuel pump, car cranks but wot start.
Pin is grounded.
Anti theft light stays on (no flashing) after 10 minutes.

Since the jumper did not even run the pump this means the pump is bad or has broken wires to it. For the relay not getting energized on its own we need to confirm all the powers and grounds to the computer are good. Can you do that from the previous diagram?

Hello again Chris here,

1) When customers come to Just Answer the website and the experts want them to have a great 5 star experience.

2) We also want them to be so pleased that they come back for future needs.

3) I have the feeling you were not pleased with my help and or need me to help more. If so please do reply.

4) I have an option to upload diagrams, repair guides, find a repair facility, or call you if that would help.

Thanks Chris