Pontiac

Pontiac problems? Ask a mechanic for answers ASAP

I have a 06 Pontiac Grand prix 3.8l. When we bought the car…

Customer Question
I have a 06 Pontiac...
I have a 06 Pontiac Grand prix 3.8l. When we bought the car it never would get to operating temp and the heater never blew hot air.So I figured it was a stuck open thermostat, I've replaced the thermostat but now the car over heats at idle it won't blow hot air through the vents and at idle if I rev it the temp drops about a quarter and it climbs right back up. I've read that it could be a air pocket?
Submitted: 2 years ago.Category: Pontiac
2/29/2016
Pontiac Mechanic: Dan, Technician replied 2 years ago
Dan, Technician

Hello, my name is***** is a bleeder screw on the thermostat housing you can crack open while engine runs until all of the air is out, then add more coolant. Let me know how it goes or if you have more questions, thanks.

There is only one on the 3800 series right?

That is correct, let me know if you have more questions. Thanks.

Ok so I went ahead and bought a spill free funnel to burp the air..here's my problem everyone says turn the fan off but the heat all the way on and when you stop seeing bubbles your good. But this has a digital screen if you turn the fan off the temp gauge goes away. Any advice?

Are your radiator fans working?

Does any air seem to be coming from bleeder? Does keeping fan on high completely stop it from overheating or does it still eventually over heat?

None from the bleeder it seems. The coolant level fluctuates between it being full blast fan and no fan. With the heater off at idle it goes a little above operating temp

If it is only going a little bit above idle and not overheating then I'd consider this normal. The cooling fan is what maintains the the temperature. Let me know if you have more questions, thanks.

Dan, Technician