sprinkles08
sprinkles08, ASE Certified Technician
Experience:  ASE Master and Advanced level certified. Factory trained with 15 years dealership experience
9825021

99 pontiac grand am SE. 140000 miles. drove into my garage

Customer Question

99 pontiac grand am SE. 140000 miles. drove into my garage to install a new stereo/radio but it didn't fit right. Reset original radio. Now key won't turn at all and gear shifter is stuck in park. However, steering wheel isn't locked and wheels turn left and right without limit.
Suggestions?
Category: Pontiac
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Can anyone help me??? Please acknowledge receipt of my question...
Expert:  sprinkles08 replied 1 year ago.

Hello and welcome to JustAnswer!

If the steering column isn't locked and binding the lock cylinder linkage then odds are you have a stuck tumbler in the lock cylinder if the key doesn't turn. You may be able to at least temporarily get it to free up.

Spray some penetrating oil directly into the lock cylinder. Insert the key and run it in and out quickly a few times. You can repeat this and applying penetrating oil a couple times.

Then insert the key fully and give it a few sharp taps on the end. This will often jar a stuck tumbler loose again.

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
I'll give it a try with fingers crossed. But will that take care of the 'locked in park' issue?

A shifter will not move from park without the key in the run position.

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
OK. I'm not sure if it is in park though, because the wheels turn freely (the steering wheel isn't locked). Anyway, I'll give the penetrating oil and 'key tap' a try. Thanks.

You can push the vehicle freely with no mechanical lock?

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Nope. It won't roll (acting like it's in park). But the the tires rotate freely left and right when turning the steering wheel...

If the car doesn't roll then the transmission is in park.