Amedee
Amedee, Pontiac Technician
Experience:  ASE certified Technician advanced level specialist. Wisconsin certified emissions state inspector
279429

I have a 1990 Firebird 305 5.0L v8 throttle body, symptoms

Customer Question

I have a 1990 Firebird 305 5.0L v8 throttle body, symptoms are:
It won't crank without starting fluid.
Will not idle, you have to pat the gas to keep it running and you can't hold the gas or it will stall. Will only stay crunk a 1/2 second otherwise. AND the check engine light is NOT on. Only code I could pull was 53- system voltage too high.
Parts I have replaced:
TPS
Fuel Injector
Fuel Pump
Please tell me you know what's wrong.
Category: Pontiac
Expert:  Amedee replied 1 year ago.

Hello and welcome! My name is ***** ***** I can assist you with your question. Have you checked the fuel pressure?

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
No.
Expert:  Amedee replied 1 year ago.

You might want to do that. The fuel could be leaking into the engine causing this stalling condition. Or you may not have enough fuel pressure for some reason even with the new fuel pump.

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Ok. Is there anything else?
Expert:  Amedee replied 1 year ago.

YES, TPS, EGR, air/vacuum leak, MAP/MAF sensor, IAC motor or even the PCM.

Expert:  Amedee replied 1 year ago.

I see that you have replaced the TPS.. this is good.

Expert:  Amedee replied 1 year ago.

Then I would check for air/vacuum leaks next.

Expert:  Amedee replied 1 year ago.

Oh, last but not least, the pickup inside the distributor assembly can go bad causing this condition as well.

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Oh also I tested my injectors and one read 12 volts the other read 0... what does that mean.
Expert:  Amedee replied 1 year ago.

How did you check the injectors?

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
With an ohmmeter.
Expert:  Amedee replied 1 year ago.

Ok, well if you tested it correctly, then at least one is out of specs. However, didn't you replace the injectors?

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Only one.
Expert:  Amedee replied 1 year ago.

Actually, it sounds like they are both bad. Should have 16-17 ohms per injector at room temperature.

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
We have checked everything. And nothing has fixed our issue. We did find that the distributor was cracked and rusted over. Bought a new one hoping maybe it was the problem but no it wasn't. It still won't crank without starting fluid and it won't idle. We found out when we put the injectors on the rubber seal ring didn't go on right and leaked a small amount of gas but that small amount of gas caused it to idle on its own. So what does that mean?
Expert:  Amedee replied 1 year ago.

If the engine runs on starting fluid then we know it has spark and compression at the right time. This just means we have a "lack of fuel". You could have bad gas don't feel pressure or injectors are not opening up preventing fuel from getting into the engine.

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
we need to do a ruel pressure test?
Expert:  Amedee replied 1 year ago.

Yes that would be a good thing to do next

Expert:  Amedee replied 1 year ago.

.

Expert:  Amedee replied 1 year ago.

Hello! It's Amedee from just answer.

I am just checking in to see if you need any further assistance?

Let me know!

Expert:  Amedee replied 1 year ago.

.