Pontiac

Pontiac problems? Ask a mechanic for answers ASAP

I have a 2008 Pontiac G-6. Base model 2.4 Ltr 4 cylinder…

Customer Question
I have a 2008 Pontiac...
I have a 2008 Pontiac G-6. Base model 2.4 Ltr 4 cylinder automatic transmission.Got in it today and I've lost sound from both left speakers. No matter how I try to adjust it front to rear, right to left nothing is coming out of the left side. My best guess is that the radio/cd head unit in the center dash has gone bad. My local GM dealer can get me a refurbished GM exchange radio for around $300.00. I'm a fairly good shade tree mechanic.I've read the procedure for pulling off the center console cover that houses the radio and I'm left with some questions as follows:1. With the center cover removed how is the radio removed?
2. Does the center cover come off fairly easy? Any tips you can give me would be appreciated.
3. Will the refurbished GM radio need to be programmed to insure all features work Tire pressure monitor, temperature Oil change monitor. Trip computer etc work? Or will it just go in and work.
4. Any information you can give me to help me resolve this would be appreciated.
5 Could there be a ground gone bad that's common to both speakers?
Submitted: 2 years ago.Category: Pontiac
2/23/2016
Pontiac Mechanic: Daniel Jones,
 replied 2 years ago
Daniel Jones

Hello. Welcome to the site. Thanks for coming. I'm ***** *****.
I'm here to provide as much information and insight as I can, to best answer your question.

Can you give me your VIN# ***** I can see if there are any Service Bulletins and get proper repair information for your car?

Thank you for posting your question.

Your business is very valuable to us.
Thank You
***** *****

Thank You for responding. I'm trying to decide if I should let the dealer do this or if I should give it a try. They are estimating it will take 2hrs at $105.00 an hour. I'm retired on a fixed income and $210.00 is a lot of money for me. My Vin# *****:
1G2ZF57B384301381
Daniel I was able to obtain the information I need locally somebody talked me through it. Please do no further work on this.
Pontiac Mechanic: Daniel Jones,
 replied 2 years ago

Ok.

Thank you for posting your question.

Your business is very valuable to us.
Thank You
***** *****