Gary
Gary, Pontiac Technician
Experience:  15 years GM master tech/15 years ASE master
19513769

I have a 2008 pontiac G6. My oil light keep coming on. Not

Customer Question

I have a 2008 pontiac G6. My oil light keep coming on. Not when I first start out but after about 20 minutes. I recently changed my oil and my oil life did reset. The temperature hand is fine. It doesn't move. I have notice a pin hole in my reserve tank. The car isn't making any weird sounds. Why is the oil light coming on.
Category: Pontiac
Expert:  Gary replied 1 year ago.

I am sorry your having this problem

does the low oil or low oil pressure light come on ?

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
The oil light in the dash that look like a dripping mug
Expert:  Gary replied 1 year ago.

ok that is the low oil pressure

when that light comes on it is one of 2 things causing this issue

1 ) the oil pressure switch is bad itself triggering the light when it should not be

2 ) the engine actually has low oil pressure due to low oil or a failing oil pump or possible bottom end crank bearings opening up which will drop the oil pressure

the best bet is to replace the oil pressure sensor and if it still acts up have a shop connect a mechanical oil gauge to the engine and confirm the oil pressure

the odds are it will be low and will require some internal engine work to be done

but with no noises heard at all most of the time a new oil pressure sensor will correct this issue

# ***** in this picture is the location of the oil pressure sensor

if you have any questions please ask as i do not get credit for my work until you rate us here at Justanswer

Expert:  Gary replied 1 year ago.

how are you making out ?

if you have any questions please ask as i do not get credit for my work until you rate us here at justanswer