Pontiac

Pontiac problems? Ask a mechanic for answers ASAP

My car is throwing cel p0300 p0301 p0302 p0303 p0304 and…

Customer Question
My car is throwing...

My car is throwing cel p0300 p0301 p0302 p0303 p0304 and p0171

Mechanic's Assistant: Sometimes things that you think will be really complicated end up being easy to fix with a Pontiac. The Pontiac Mechanic I'm going to connect you with knows all the tricks and shortcuts. Tell me a bit more about what's going on so he can help you best.

Car idles pretty rough but other then that seems to be running fine ocational stall but on the accelerator and on highway it is fine

Mechanic's Assistant: Are you hoping to fix this yourself?

I'm trying to pass emission yes

Mechanic's Assistant: Is there anything else important you think the Pontiac Mechanic should know about your Pontiac?

Mechanic's Assistant: What else should I tell the Pontiac Mechanic?

I have checked all spark plugs

Submitted: 2 years ago.Category: Pontiac
the car was recently in the shop for a transmission rebuild and repair
the car did not have any of the cel codes before it went in.
2/19/2016
Pontiac Mechanic: Roy Belding, ASE Certified Technician replied 2 years ago
Roy Belding
Roy Belding, ASE Certified Technician

good afternoon my name is ***** ***** I will assist

what motor do you have?

Roy

1.8l
4cyl

ok, thanks. the one thing that all the codes have in common is low fuel pressure. it is a common reason for the 300 code and all the individual cylinder miss fire codes. the 174 is a lean code which also supports not enough fuel. you need to have the fuel pressure checked to see the actual pressure versus what is needed. you may have a weak fuel pump.

Roy

i think it could be the pcv valve as well. it will throw a p0171 code for that as well

not miss fire codes. yes it could be but I doubt it

Roy

well two things can cause a misfire air and fuel. and pcv could have a leak causing a vacuum leak and uncalculated air entering the motor. as well. I'm just also thinking of things this guys had to take apart to replace transmission. its rare for a fuel pump to slowly go out. usually they work or the don't.

why do you think it is related to the repair???

I would start by checking the fuel pressure. that will tell us a lot. once again, a vacuum leak is not the issue here unless your engine idle is abnormally high which you have not indicated

Roy