Pontiac

Pontiac problems? Ask a mechanic for answers ASAP

My 1998 Grand Am starts with theft light on/flashing and…

Customer Question
My 1998 Grand Am starts...
My 1998 Grand Am starts with theft light on/flashing and loss of ABS, high beam indicator flashed, TCS light off/on and park lights come on, maybe a faint horn or buzzer. I tried the relearn process and that didn't work. Is it a PassKey issue or a theft deterrent module?
Submitted: 2 years ago.Category: Pontiac
2/17/2016
Pontiac Mechanic: Pete, Pontiac Technician replied 2 years ago
Pete, Pontiac Technician

My name is ***** ***** I am a professional here at Just Answer. I noticed that your question had not received a response and thought I would see if you still need help with this.I apologize for the delay and I hope I can still assist you with this here.

Is there anything after market wired into the vehicle like an after market remote start or after market alarm at all?In some cases if there is an after market component like this here installed this can cause issues electronically if it is wired in incorrectly or if it has failed and would need removed or bypassed or replaced/re wired to correct this fault.If there are no after market components let me know.

Thanks Pete

I'm uncertain if there is an aftermarket alarm as it was a used car purchase. But let me check behind the driver side door panel for a module either today or tomorrow.

I apologize for the delay.

Let me know ig you locate any after market components on this here and we can continue from there.

Thanks Pete

The car is currently at the repair shop for a power steering replacement. On Monday when the job is completed I will begin to look for an aftermarket alarm system.

O.k.,let me know what you come up with here and if you need anything else.

If more help is needed, use the reply tab to continue our conversation. If no further assistance is needed, kindly rate my service.You can rate at any time and we can continue to work on your question as this will not close out your question.Keep in mind in some cases it can be difficult to fully diagnose or help repair your vehicle without seeing it and I work on delivering the best possible answer from what I see to work with.

Thanks Pete