GM Tech (Cam)
GM Tech (Cam), Pontiac Technician
Experience:  GM Grand Master Technician 2007. 14 years experience.
10949255

I have an 01 sunfire. When I try to turn the key, it will

Customer Question

Hi. I have an 01 sunfire. When I try to turn the key, it will turn but not all the way over. The ignition is new and the alternator is fine. I've been told to get the computer reset. I'm wondering what I can check out on it myself before have it towed and worked on. Thanks!
JA: Thanks. Can you give me any more details about your issue?
Customer: The Issue appears to prevent the fuels pump from working and the battery tends to die if I leave it connected.
JA: OK got it. Last thing — Pontiac Mechanics generally expect a deposit of about $18 to help with your type of question (you only pay if satisfied). Now I'm going to take you to a page to place a secure deposit with JustAnswer. Don't worry, this chat is saved. After that, we will finish helping you.
Category: Pontiac
Expert:  Tool Hut replied 1 year ago.

Hi, My Name is ***** ***** for posting your question to just answer. I am a independent contractor for just answer, and ASE Certified Master Auto Technician with 20 years experience. I am confident we can resolve your problem together.Please remember I don't know your skill level. I can't see, smell, hear, or touch the vehicle. It may take a few back and forth replies to get to a satisfactory resolution.There will probably be some equipment needed for a proper diagnosis. If you are not comfortable with this or do not have any test equipment please let me know ASAP. I also try to give all of the information you may need expecting a positive rating. I am not compensated for my time until you leave a positive rating. Your rating should be based on the service you received.

Please note: When describing your condition Please clarify as below.
1. Won't crank means starter does not engage. 2.Cranks won't start indicates starter engages and turns engine but does not start the engine.
3. Does nothing indicates that no noise is heard when turning key to crank position.
4. Click no crank indicates you hear the starter click but the engine does not turn.

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
It cranks, but does not start the engine.There are three or four whining noise as if the car is trying to start, and then it appears as if aux power is flickering on and off with some clinking noises until I stop turning the key.
Expert:  Tool Hut replied 1 year ago.

BAsed on your symptoms I believe you are explaining a failed starter. Can you verify that the engine is turning when the key is turned to start? Have someone watch engine on the belt side and verify the belt turns when turned to start.

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
The engine was turning and it seemed like it would quit before it would start running.My brother feels like it is worth noting that we had to replace the ignition switch a few weeks before this issue started and believes that the problem might be tied into the security system.
Expert:  Tool Hut replied 1 year ago.

Do you have any test equipment?

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Unfortunately I don't. What equipment would I want to test it with?
Expert:  Tool Hut replied 1 year ago.

A spark tester and noid light kit to start with. Fuel pressure gauge and a scanner would be helpful

Expert:  Joe Prestia replied 1 year ago.

Is the battery a known good tested battery? If so make sure the terminal screws (8mm or 5/16 will do on factory applications) are nicely snugged. Once you know they are tight grab the battery cables and see if you are able to twist them beneath the bolt. You problem sounds like a loose connection to me.

Did my suggestion help point your towards the cause of your problem?

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
unfortunately not, that was the first thing I tried. I bought a new battery and had the alternator tested too.

Keep in mind that it's possible even for a new battery to be faulty. Verify that you have at least 12 volts between the positive and negative battery terminals. This is obviously not a thorough way to test the battery but I will rule out the possibility of a battery with a shorted cell (which could potentially cause these symptoms) At this point I would probably remove the RF wheel to put a socket and big ratchet or breaker bar on the crankshaft pulley to verify the the engine can be turned all the way around by hand. Hope this helps! I'll let you know if I can think of anything else. Could you possibly post a video of what it tries to do when you start it?