Tool Hut
Tool Hut, ASE Certified Technician
Experience:  Owner of a mobile diagnostics company assisting auto technicians with difficult vehicles
77480539

I have a 2008 Pontiac G8 3.6L it's a great car except I am

Customer Question

I have a 2008 Pontiac G8 3.6L it's a great car except I am having this issue with error code P2178 showing rich on idle bank 1. I have cleared the code many times and it keep coming back, I thought it was the K & N cold air kit I installed, so I bought a power chip, plug in style to the OBDII port under the dash, didn't really do any thing except to extend the time between it setting the code again. Something else must be wrong since I have cleared it a dozen times now in normal driving.
Category: Pontiac
Expert:  Tool Hut replied 1 year ago.

Hi, My Name is ***** ***** for posting your question to just answer. I am a ASE Certified Master Auto Technician with 20 years experience. I am confident we can resolve your problem together.Please remember I don't know your skill level. I can't see, smell, hear, or touch the vehicle. It may take a few back and forth replies to get to a satisfactory resolution.I also try to give all of the information you may need expecting a positive rating.

OK, So does you cold air intake air filter require oiling?

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
No- It doesn't require it, but it can be done- I haven't oiled it at all- it is dry
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
I'm a backyard mechanic, not an expert, but know enough to be dangerous I guess
Expert:  Tool Hut replied 1 year ago.

The error code could be related to the Mass Air Flow Sensor or an injector leaking

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
You are saying I need to do another scan with more information to find the real problem ?
Expert:  Tool Hut replied 1 year ago.
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
OK- I guess I will have to keep looking, That's all for now
No further charges please, I will take it from here !ThanksDave
Expert:  Tool Hut replied 1 year ago.

Let me know if you can get a scanner with some data and I can assist further.

Please dont forget to leave a rating

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Thank you for your response, I'm still working on it. I will let you know !
Expert:  Tool Hut replied 1 year ago.

Ok.