Pontiac

Pontiac Problems? Ask a Mechanic for Answers ASAP

Pontiac

My 2007 pontiac grand prix will not start and does not have

Customer Question
power to the purple wire...
my 2007 pontiac grand prix will not start and does not have power to the purple wire at the starter silanoid. starter is good and ignition module is good, all fuses are good and relays as well.............. no anti theft message either. any ideas?????
Submitted: 2 years ago.Category: Pontiac
11/16/2015
Pontiac Mechanic: Dave Nova, Pontiac Technician replied 2 years ago
Dave Nova
Dave Nova, Pontiac Technician

Does the transmission shift indicator show to be in Park? Have you tried starting in Neutral position?

It does show park and I did try starting in nuteral

Is the 40 amp STARTER fuse good? Place your hand on the CRANK relay and have someone else turn the key to start. Does the relay click?

the relay does click

Is Starter fuse okay? Do you have voltage at this fuse?

there is power at the j-style fuse in the engine compartment

I know that you said the security light is not on, but try the relearn procedure listed below. Instead of waiting for the light to turn off, just time out 10 full minutes in step 2.

1. With a master PASS-Key III key, turn ON the ignition, with the engine OFF.

2. Observe the STARTING DISABLED DUE TO THEFT message on the driver information center (DIC), after approximately 10 minutes the STARTING DISABLED DUE TO THEFT message on the DIC will turn off.

3. Turn OFF the ignition, and wait 5 seconds.

4. Repeat steps 1-3 two more times for a total of 3 cycles or 30 minutes.

Important: The vehicle learns the key transponder information and/or passwords on the ignition switch transition from OFF to CRANK. You must turn the ignition OFF before attempting to start the vehicle.

5. With a master PASS-Key III key, start the vehicle. The vehicle has now learned the key transponder information and the PCM has now learned the fuel continue password.

I have done this process earlier just to rule this out.

Try swapping the crank relay with one of the other relays in the fuse panel.

Have also tried this earlier

Are you certain it is the crank relay that is clicking when key is turned to start?

I am sure
Also I had filled up the gas tank and it isn't reading it as full after the key is inserted don't know if that will help

Check electrical connectors at underhood fuse panel. May have a poor connection there.

You don't think it could be the nuteral saftey switch??

There is no switch at the transmission on this model. There is a range sensor in the transmission that reports back to the PCM (computer) The computer will then disable the starter relay based upon the range sensor position. Best thing to do at this point would be to connect a scan tool to see if the PCM is disabling the starter relay.

that's a sensor inside of the transmission??

Yes, it is inside the transmission.

GM Tech (Cam)
GM Tech (Cam)
GM Tech (Cam), Pontiac Technician