camerontech
camerontech, auto technician
Experience:  diagnostic auto tech
89602740

I have a 2007 Pontiac Vibe. Low beams stopped working

Customer Question

I have a 2007 Pontiac Vibe. Low beams stopped working suddenly. Bulbs, fuses are good. Daytime running lights do not work. High beams turn on and stay on when stalk switch set to high beam. Parking lights only are on when switch set to low beams on (normally both are on, same as with DRL on). Fog lights work correctly. Relay or module failure? Which one?
Category: Pontiac
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Checked both bulbs.
Checked ECU-B fuse (instrument panel fuse block)
Checked HeadRH and HeadLH fuses(engine compartment fuse block).
Again, daytime running lights - no lights (parking or low beam) - when stalk switch rotated from "off" to "(dot)" (DRL on).
Again, low beams off, parking lights on - when switch for Low beams is "on" (stalk switch rotated from "(dot)" to "(Headlights on)".
High beams flash on when stalk is pulled toward driver; stay on when "Headlamps on" and stalk is pushed away.
Expert:  camerontech replied 1 year ago.

Hi there,

My name is ***** ***** I am a licenced diagnostic technician with over 20 years experience.

I will do my best to help you with your automotive problem. Please remember, I cannot see, hear or feel your vehicle which can make diagnosing very complicated and some vehicle require extensive diagnotics that require certain diagnostics computers that can not be done over a computer or phone.Please be patient as I am not online 24 hours a day, as I do work, but I do check my page every day.A positive rating is always appreciated for my time and knowledge to help you with your problem.

I am going to include a wiring diagram for the heaadlight circuit for you as this is going to require a bit more hands on testing, but you are 1/2 way there and checked some important areas already.

If you have 12v at the left and right headlight fuses when switch is turned on than that means that the headlight relay is working as it should. The headlight relay is ground controlled from the drl module, biut if you have 12v at the 2 fuses than imassuming that the ground signal at the red/white wire before relay is there.

Do you have 12v at the headlight connectors? if you do than it is the ground controlled portion we have to target.

the switch is entirely ground controlled. there should be ground at red wire pin 12 when switch turned on than it goes through a junction block before the drl module red wire pin 5.

If all of this is fine than than there should be ground signal coming out of drl module pin A red/white wire.

check drl module grounds and 12v supply. IF all this checks ok, it will be the drl modue (which i hve replaced a few)

IF one is missing that you will have to check the wiring between each.

IF you need any more help, let me know!

I appreciate positive ratings!

cam

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
If you have 12v at the left and right headlight fuses when switch is turned on than that means that the headlight relay is working as it should."
The fuses are "good", there is no voltage at either fuse when the headlights switch is "on". Multimeter reads "12V" when checked against the battery's terminals.
With this first step failure does that mean headlight relay has failed; or are there additional steps in that half of a decision tree?

there is a good chance the relay is no good if you have 12v at the main headlight fuse 30amp. I would swap the relay with another one of the same kind. If it still not coming on than you will need to access the underneath of the fuse block and find the wires for that relay and find the red/white wire. that is the ground signal from the drl module.

If there is no ground there than you will have to check that wire coming out of the drl module (red/yellow pin 4).

if the ground is present when turned on than its a wire that is broken and you will have to follow the harness to locate.