Pontiac

Pontiac Problems? Ask a Mechanic for Answers ASAP

Pontiac

I have a 1998 Grand Prix that has issue with the control

Customer Question
responses on the windshield wipers...
I have a 1998 Grand Prix that has issue with the control responses on the windshield wipers. In the past if I would have an occasional problem when I had them on intermitant and switched to medium speed, they would occashionally stop mid windshield. If I worked the control lever several times, they would again work normally. Now, I have a problem that when I actuate the control for any speed, including intermitant, they run at medium speed and do not turn off unless I turn off the ignition switch. I checked my local parts store and was told that it could be either the actual lever control for $400.00 or possibly the Wiper motor pulse control board module for $50.00. I can't really afford to throw money at the car especially the lever control without knowing which direction I should go. Is there a test to determine which unit it could be, if so any help would be greatly appreciated. Also, I am not familiar where the Pulse board module is located and how to access it.
Submitted: 2 years ago.Category: Pontiac
10/18/2015
Pontiac Mechanic: Gary, Pontiac Technician replied 2 years ago
Gary
Gary, Pontiac Technician

I am sorry for the long wait

if you have the car on and the wipers stuck on MED with the switch set to OFF if you unplug the wiper switch connectors will they stop running ?

if they stop running the switch is bad

if they still run then the wiper board is more than likely bad and it is located under the wiper motor swich you need to remove the complete wiper assembly then flip it over to change the board as seen in this picture

Hi Gary,Ok, this is really weird. I took the lower steering column plastic cover off along with the lower plastic dash trim, (thinking I needed to to get access to the wiring, which I did) and as I was beginning to do the test procedure you instructed me to do, everything is operating as normal now. I moved the wiring harnesses around just a bit, to check for possible loose wires and changed the position of the tilt on the steering wheel, and all is working fine in both accessory on and engine running mode. Now I am not sure if performing the test will determine anything at this time. Would you still recommend I perform the test. If so, will it still determine if either the switch or board module has this intermitent issue?My situation is this. I am running out of time today and I am starting a new job tomorrow. No stress there. Since the wipers are currently working I planned to drive the car to work this week since everything is as normal, even with the plastics still removed.but still do need to address this issue next weekend when I have more time. My local parts store can still provide me with either part that I would need. Any additional recommendations / advice would be very much appreciated.Most appreciatively,

we have to have the wipers acting up to do this test to see which is causing this problem

Hi Gary,Tried to respond yesterday and PC had a glitch. Thought my response went out. Wipers were working fine yesterday, of course after I removed the lower plastic panels from dash and lower streering column cover.Got terribly busy getting ready last night to start my new job today and just got home. First long day at work. Sorry for the delay in responding back. The wipers are currently working as normal today. I left the plastic panels off and will keep them off the lower dash and column for a few days, maybe until this weekend. Murphy's law, it always gets me. It does make sense that the problem has to be occuring in order to perform the test. I am in a bit of a quandry as to the 2 components I ordered, the lever control and the module board. I have the option of having the parts store send them back to the warehouse, (no cost to me at this point). I guess until the error occures again, I shouldn't gamble on which if either part to buy. I am wondering if it might be a good idea to disconnect the plugs under the dash for the lever control and check the circuits to the lever controls with a multimeter to see if there are any inconsistancies, such as ohms readings, although, if the unit is performing normal, it probably won't help. Any thoughts on this?

it really would not help at all as its not acting up right now and we need to do the tests i said when its acting up

this could be as simple as there was a bad connection you moved when removing the plastic panels

it really is best to see if it acts up again and if it does do those tests i said to fine the problem

how are you making out ?

Gary
Gary
Gary, Pontiac Technician